Can FreeFileSync replicate SyncToy’s ECHO Function?

Vernon Kronenberg March 24, 2013

I keep a master disk of downloaded torrents which I view once and then delete.

In my PC I have a partition on to which I would download the occasional torrent and, if not viewed straight away it would get added to the master disk via SyncToy’s ECHO function: “New and updated files are copied L to R, Renames and deletes on the Left are repeated on the Right”.

Regrettably, since upgrading my Intel M/board on my PC SyncToy has been giving me many “FAILED” reports after syncing so I am trying FreeFiuleSync. FFS will give me an “update” function (copy new or updated files to the right folder) but says nothing about deletions on the left being repeated on the right. Can I do this is FFS and where do I find the settings for this, please?

1. Jan Fritsch

MIRROR creates a 1:1 copy, a clone, LHS => RHS all the time
    you delete something on the left, it will be deleted on the right
    you add, edit or change something on the left, it will do the same on the right
    however, if you make a change on the RHS it will be "lost" after the next synchronization

TWO-WAY synchronizes all changes on both sides, changes on the LHS will be performed on the RHS and vise versa (like a combination of all)

Unfortunately I have never used SyncToy and the sites I looked at had conflicting descriptions about what the "Echo" mode really does to the destination.

Maybe someone else has experience using it and has a solution for you, sorry.

2. Vernon Kronenberg

Thank you for your answer, Jan. I'm not certain it gives me the result I want. What I'm trying to do is to ADD the existing LHS downloads to my existing master list of downloads on the RHS disk including deleting from the RHS disk the deletions that have been made on the LHS disk- I'm synchronising 2 physical disks.

The MIRROR function is described by FFS as "Mirror Backup of L folder. R folder is modified to exactly match the left folder after synchronisation." Does this not delete everything on the RHS that is not on the RHS disk? which is not what I want.

Now I'm also confused: what's the difference between "TWO-WAY" and "MIRROR"? Neither the configuration diagram nor the Help file give me that information.

3. Jan Fritsch

You will have to use the mirror mode to have files deleted on the left also being deleted on the right. Basically it will perform a 1:1 copy of the folder on the left (of course files that are already on the right and didn't change won't be copied again).

One thing that won't be "detected" is renamed files. Basically it will delete the file with the old name on the right and copy the one from the left with the new name over. If that's a large file and happens quite often this operation will obviously take longer than it did using SyncToys echo.

Only a bidirectional sync (two-way) would spare you copying renamed files. But that also means changed on the right will be performed on the left.