How can I free up disk space without booting into Windows?

March 16, 2014

I have a disk with Windows installed, and I want to free disk space on it, but I don’t want to have to actually boot into Windows. What can I do?

1. Allen Kane

Another thing to do would be to boot into safe mode with command prompt run disk cleanup from the command line

2. Allen Kane

Puppylinux.org offers puppy linux which is 128mb and you can boot the live CD, and connect to the internet and back up files to perhaps Google drive.

3. B B

*** UPDATE*** I should clarify...I am unable to boot into windows because there isint enough space. I have to delete or move some things, but I am unable to "view" anything because the computer just has a blank screen. I wanted to move things to my external hard drive...however not being able to see anything on the screen makes this seem impossible..

• Bruce E

Best option would be Oron's first suggestion: boot a Linux distro from a Live CD/DVD and copy data files from your OS disk to the external disk. Once you have a couple of GB of free space, reboot into Windows and do the rest from there.

4. Simranjeet

better you boot into your OS and check what files you really want to delete.

I can think of two ways to do this:

1. Boot up from a Live distribution (e.g. Linux on a CD/USB drive) and remove the files.
    2. Remove the hard drive from the computer, and connect it to another PC using a USB-SATA adaptor (or USB-IDE, whatever suits your drive) and access the drive that way.

Either way will work but there are certain limitations. First of all, you'll need to take ownership of the users' profiles, so the permissions will change (which means that you can't completely hide the fact that you have accessed the drive). This will also take time, perhaps even hours. The second limitation is that there are certain items you shouldn't remove except when running the system that was used to install them (e.g. update backup files), as changes to them require corresponding changes to the registry.
    In light of that, will it suffice perhaps to boot into Windows in Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly as you start up the PD until you get to choose that option)?

what do you mean by free disk space? like moving files to another hard drive? if it is you can try some live cds for example Hirens boot cd. That live cd contain some file managers you can use them to copy move files.
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd