How can I force all DNS requests to OPENDNS using my router?

Bobby D January 18, 2014

I would like to make it so all devices using my network have to use OPENDNS (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) for all DNS traffic. How do I configure my ASUS RT-N66U to force redirect any device traffic to another DNS Server other than OPENDNS (ie 8.8.8.8 and not 208.67.222.222)?

Other info:

Router: ASUS RT-N66U

• Firmware: asuswrt-merlin custom firmware 3.0.0.4.374.35_4
  • Router DNS Server configured to manually assign opendns server IP

1. DalSan M

I am confused about your question since you want to use OpenDNS on the router so that all devices use OpenDNS, but then redirect the devices to Google's DNS servers. I don't think that is really possible, or even know why you would want to force the devices connected to the network to go through two different DNS servers. I would choose one or the other, but OpenDNS has much more security and options that you can use to help maintain a secure network (as in fly-by malware and phishing attacks).

If you could clarify what it is you wish to do (other than use OpenDNS and possibly Google's DNS), and we may be able to help you find a better way for you to do what you really want.