Can I flash jelly bean ROM with clockwork mod on gingerbread?

Sebs T January 30, 2014

Hello , I have a Samsung Galaxy S 4G (SGH – T959V) and I want to flash a custom ROM of Jelly Bean 4.3 onto it.

I updated from Froyo to BML Gingerbread. I also installed a custom kernel called Antonxs Basic with a twist off. This kernel came with CWM (Clockworkmod) 5.0.28. Can I install the Jelly bean ROM directly or should I go to an Ice Cream Sandwich ROM and then this ROM? I cannot use the computer for this because my charging port is damaged (The one of the cellphone).

And with this version of CWM, could I install a Kit Kat ROM directly?
Thanks in Advanced.

1. Sebs T

Thank You for all your help. I really apreciate it.

• Dalsan M

No problem, Sebs. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

• Susendeep D

Sebs,

Kindly mark your question as resolved by up-voting best comment that helped you the most.

Scroll down to Samsung Galaxy S 4G on this web site: http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager. You have a choice of regular CWM or Touch CWM, but you should be fine with the version you already have. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

(Your English is as good as I have seen; I see no issue or have any problem reading what you have written.)

• Sebs T

Thank you very much . Sure i can flash Slim kat with this cwm version?

• Sebs T

And if i brick my device could I use the CWM backup I made for unbricking it?

• Dalsan M

I cannot guarantee that it would work being a shadow of a doubt, but it should work fine using the CWM you already have. If you flash (install) Slim Kat and your phone doesn't work, you can then try a newer version of CWM. Typically, older versions should work fine. Usually yes, using the backup can bring your phone back from a soft-brick. I would hardly think that you would hard brick your phone, but if you come across that scenario, we can try to help you.

Yes you can, here is one of several versions called Slim Kat (with instructions and download links): http://www.android.gs/update-galaxy-s-4g-android-4-4-2-kitkat-os-slimkat-firmware/

• Sebs T

Thank you so much. Where can i get the latest Clockworkmod for flashing this ROM?(Slim Kat)
      And sorry for my english.

Installing a custom ROM can be done at any time with few prerequisites, but installing ROM versions in sequential order of release is not one of them. It is like installing Windows 8.1 on a computer that has Windows XP on it; if the computer supports Windows 8.1, then you can install it without having to install each previous version first, and the same goes for any other operating system and device, such as a phone or tablet. You already have performed everything else necessary to install any compatible ROM of your choice, so the prerequisites have been met.

Most custom ROMs include the proper kernel that works with the ROM version, but you can flash a different compatible kernel at any time, as well. Just make sure that you download and flash the correct GApps that match the ROM version, as in GApps for Kit Kat if you installed a Kit Kat ROM. As long as you created a backup using CWM, go on ahead and install the latest custom ROM as you wish, just make sure that it is completely compatible with your phone. Good luck and happy flashing.

• Sebs T

Thank. Can I install a Kit kat rom with cwm 5.0.2.8?