How can I fix a wet USB drive?

Anonymous April 15, 2014

Hey guys, I have a wet USB drive and I need help fixing it. Does anyone know any tricks to fixing it?

1. Jon G

Oops, I meant "Didn't get wet when it was plugged into anything giving it power [...]". I blame sleep debt...

2. Jon G

Provided your USB drive didn't get wet when it wasn't plugged into anything giving it power, and doesn't have any inbuilt power source (like the DataShur devices have, for instance), it'll be fine. The recommendations above should work, as should putting it on top of a central heating radiator in a dry room - not a bathroom! - for a couple of days: heat won't damage the electronics. (I'd suggest putting it on top of a cloth just so that the hottest metal of the rad doesn't damage the plastic casing.)

Hovsep refers you to a very full discussion, and Polycarp's advice is good too, but here's a short summary:
    - Do not plug it in until it is completely dry, or it may short circuit.
    - A good way to dry it is to give it a good shake, then place it in a bag with rice and leave it in a warm (not hot!) place for a day or two. Ideally, turn it around every few hours so that any water will find its way out of the casing and into the rice.

• dragonmouth

Kitty litter or OilDry work just as well for drying, although dust may be a problem.

• Oron J

Good point Dragonmouth. Any moisture-absorbing substance will do (silica gel will work wonders, if you have enough). I usually recommend rice because it's readily available and the grains are big enough not to get into the electronics...

4. Polycarp M

I also had same problem after i washed my pendrive with my clothes
    the ways to fix wet USB are

1. do not plug it to ur computer as theirs a chance of short circuit and ur usb will be unusable for ever
    2. for some times keep it for drying and shaking it properly
      after that it will be working good.