How can I fix Skype display problem on my Sony Vaio?

Anonymous March 25, 2014

I’ve had a Vaio VPCEJ2C5J from new (2 yrs) and it’s been 100% fine. It’s never been dropped or even knocked and looks like new. The only time I use the camera is for Skype and suddenly around 2 months ago the picture went strange. It looks like a Warhol ‘Marilyn’. I’ve checked all the Vaio and Skype settings and re-installed the Skype drives. I’ve also run Vaio Care and everything seems fine. I don’t really want to start re-installing Sony drivers unless I have to. Has anyone come across the same problem/solution?

What you are describing is a "posterised" picture, which uses a small number of colours (probably 16). Is the problem affecting your whole display, or just the picture from the camera? If it's the whole display, then Marcus is spot on - reinstall the display driver (and you might as well get the latest driver).
    If it's only the picture from the camera, then it could be a setting in the webcam software (look for "number of colours" or similar, and see if there's an option for "thousands of colours" or for "16 bit" or "24 bit"). If there's no such setting, download the latest driver for the webcam from the Sony support site and install that. Good luck!

2. Marcus P

Like it or not, you are probably looking at having to install a driver. You don't *need* to reinstall ALL the drivers, just the one, for the display adapter. Find it in your device manager if you're using windows - or just run dxdiag from the run command, and it'll tell you what you have, go from that and check the graphics card manufacturer's website for a more recent driver for it.
    There's no two ways about it.
    Sony's 'Care' software is allegedly only as effective as it is allowed to be based on the country in which it is used. http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/349294-what-vaio-care-2.html
    Get yourself slimdrivers, or manually download an updated driver. You cannot - and this can't be emphasised enough - *you can not* reasonably expect Skype to work if your graphics card is out of date.
    If an UP TO DATE driver is NOT installed, you'll find you'll end up with more problems with other programs as time progresses.

Before installing any recent drivers, as always, back up your system.

3. Marcus P

This sounds more like something that in my experience (over a couple of decades) could be caused by an out of date graphics card (a.k.a. display adapter) driver.
    You might want to check if your system is up to date. If you've had it for two years, the chances are most likely that you need to update the driver software for the graphics card.
    If you're using Windows, you might want to check if windows update has it available as an optional update.
    If there's nothing listed, you might want to check the manufacturer's website for an updated driver.
    I sincerely doubt that reinstalling Skype is actually going to fix this problem, but, if your system is up to date, then re-installing skype might help - but again, I doubt it.

My video quality isn’t great...
    https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA3161/my-video-quality-isn-t-great

maybe to reinstall SKYPE