How can I fix my HP laptop display?

Anonymous May 5, 2014

I have a HP laptop 6730B. My screen is black and I can’t get it to work. I plug it to a other screen and it works but I would like to know if their is any way to get my screen back. It is kind of hard to bring my desktop screen to work with me. Thank you.

1. Mike Burns

In my experience, with an HP, it's the FL inverter. Problem is that you need to actually remove yours to get the EXACT model number before hoping to find one on eBay ($60~$130).

2. Noele_nat

ok i am the biggest dumdum but what is a internal/external monitor switch i cant find thank you for your help :)

As Bruce says, check the internal/external monitor switch (third key just above the ordinary keyboard). If it does not work, you'll need to take it to a professional to be checked. It could be a loose/damaged cable (cheap repair), damaged backlight bulb or inverter (more expensive) or the screen itself (quite costly), but you'll have to get it diagnosed properly first.

4. Noele_nat

it did not work but when i unplug the screen my laptop screen flickers and goes back to nothing again

There is a key combination on laptops to switch from the built-in display to an external monitor, generally Fn+F5. See if toggling this will restore your laptop's display.