How can I fix the display of a mobile phone which I took apart and then reassembled?

Anonymous May 27, 2014

I am training – online – as a technician, so I wanted to practice phone screen replacement. I disassembled an old phone today but when I reassembled it, it was not working. I followed the YouTube video step by step and cannot see what I did wrong but the LCD screen has no display now. Any advice?

1. Karenw993

Thank you for ur feedback Jan, u r right about online courses but there is no course in my area.

2. Karenw993

Can the socket itself be replaced without replacing the entire circuit board. I am doing a proper online course, I did Comptia a+ and am now doing Comptia network+ however, the course material does not include repair of mobile devices, I can't find a proper course for that. I know YouTube is not the best resource but at the moment that is all I can find. If u know of any proper courses please feel free to let me know. I live in a remote place so online/distance learning is my only option.

• Jan F

Depending on how it is broken one might only have to replace the "bridge" holding the cable in place or maybe solder an entire new socket onto the board which would require highly precise soldering equipment, knowledge of temperature surrounding components can sustain etc. In a professional environment that's usually a "throw away" situation given the risks - new board, job done.

The problem with online curses is exactly what you ran into:
      Something didn't go as planned and you don't have the resources to find out what. It's fine for the dry theoretical stuff but it's lacking the hands on experience.

In answer to your reply to Jan, yes, you could have damaged the ribbon cable, or the socket, the screen itself or some other component. Nevertheless, the only thing you can do is take it apart and reassemble. If you can get spare parts for testing (I gather from your story that the answer is probably no), then you can try replacing the components one by one, but there really isn't much else you can do.

I have to say that training by watching videos on YouTube is hardly going to make you a professional technician. If that is what you want to be, you should take courses, which will include theoretical content, hands-on guidance and yes, possibly some videos!

Good luck

4. Walidzaghdoudi

model

5. Rajaa C

Mobile brand and model ?

• Karenw993

Sony xperia tipo

Disassemble and reassemble again. It's pretty much the only way to make sure all connectors are properly in place and connected.

• Karenw993

Thanks for answers however I disassembled and reassembled it 3 times and still the same, could I have damaged the ribbon cable, the white flexiboard that the ribbon cable slides under is fractionally damaged at 1 side, could that be it