How can I fix connection errors to Gmail from the Gmail app on my Galaxy Tab 3?

Dhaunseen June 28, 2014

I can’t log in to my Gmail account through the Gmail app. I am using a Galaxy Tab 3. It keeps saying “can’t establish a reliable connection to server” Does anyone know how to fix this?

1. Howard B

This problem has been around since Android 2.1, it seems!; aside from factory resetting the device and logging into GMail immediately afterwards as advised here:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/5343/android-cant-establish-a-reliable-data-connection-to-the-server/

...this page also advises logging in to YouTube with your GMail account as so:

a. Add YouTube app and login with gmail account
    b. Go into Gmail App and add account if needed.
    c. Sign into Gmail account wither username and password
    d. Go through login process

The problem apparently has *nothing* to do with poor 3G/4G or WiFi connections.

One person had success:

1) Remove SIM card.
    2) Go to Settings->Applications and clear everything (not just Google apps) one by one.
    3) Reboot the device
    4) And add your Google account.

check if you have some weird spam emails, delete them.
    deleting the account from the Galaxy Tab 3 and setting it up again.

go to settings-Applications-Gmail-delete cache and updates (you will have to register your account again)