How can I fix boot problems on my dual-boot system after using Partition Magic to resize partitions?

Pozzouk June 22, 2014

It seems like I’ve screwed up my NTFS system on Windows XP

Basically, I had been messing about dual booting with WinXP that has been on the HD for 18 months and had Ubuntu 14.04 running nicely.

I had read about running various distros of Linux in virtual machines.  No problem so far.

Then like a mug, instead of putting these virtual OSes in Ubuntu that was sat with around 160GB doing not a lot – this is the bad bit – I attempted enlarging the 137GB that WinXP was sat in by 50GB using “PartitionMagic.”  Not so magic as it turns out!

Upon reboot up comes the Windows XP logo instantly followed by a momentary BSOD.  I got in and disabled auto reboot so as to view the BSOD that tells me that I have an “UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME”  I can also see the 137GB folder in the Ubuntu Home Folder but as it is not mounted.  I’m stuck.

I’m no great expert at this stuff but although I have 95% the data held in that install of XP backed up I just want to fix it and I’m just wondering if you can give me any pointers.

Pozzouk.

1. Pozzouk

I sure hope i have this right but not sure how much help it will be?

http://i.imgur.com/RooEsZO.png

http://i.imgur.com/O4rlMNQs.jpg

Cheers Bruce, that wasn't tooo bad........not sure how interesting my images will be to the rest of the imgur comunity! but if i've done that ok very useful.....Thanks.

PS. I don't suppose it is possible to capture an image of the BSOD somehow????

2. Pozzouk

/home/pozzouk/Pictures/Screenshot from 2014-06-24 23:57:28.png

Sorry I suspect the above is no use - I can't work out how to get a screen shot onto the forum page.....perhaps it will show when I send???

Apologies if i have this wrong.

• Bruce E

Post your image to imgur.com and post the link it generates for your image to this thread. It's one of the easiest ways to share screenshots.

3. Pozzouk

Hi Guy's thanks for your interest in this matter:

I note that you mention running a live disc of Ubuntu?..........I do have Ubuntu available and booting fine from the same HD.........I presume it is Grub that i see on start up........it gives me a list to choose from & Ubuntu works fine and furthermore I have Gparted installed in Ubuntu. Gparted can see the Windows section so I will go see if I can make a screen shot and maybe come back with that. Also, it is from what I presume you refer to as the "Grub loader" that WinXP appears in the boot list - it is just that since i tried adding that 50GB to my original 137GB allocated to windows that it all went pear shaped ending in the momentary BSOD.

As for chkdsk/r C: I tried running that from Mini XP off of the Hiren's boot disc but it did not want to play.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Pozzouk.

maybe you need to run chkdsk /r C:, assuming C is windows xp?

Boot your computer using a LiveCD, open up GParted and take a screenshot of your current partition configuration. Also let us know if you had it set up to use the Windows bootloader (unlikely, I think) or GRUB to boot your PC. The most likely cause I can come up with is that Partition Magic may have (incorrectly) rewritten the Windows bootloader to the disk and removed GRUB. This can be resolved by reinstalling GRUB or possibly reconfiguring the XP boot.ini file.