How can I find wi-fi networks on laptop connected through my smartphone?

December 26, 2013

How can I find Wi-Fi networks on a laptop connected through a mobile phone?

1. fay

Hi there I got a android tablet for a christmas present I was told to get a modem which I did from cell c and I loaded data on as well,how do I get it started.I plugged in the modem it say storage damaged,please help tanx

• Dalsan M

Please click on "Ask A Question!" and start a new thread for your question so that your question would get more exposure to other users, and would less likely be confusing as the answers for your question would become mixed up with the answers for the original poster's question. Thank you.

2. J.King

I'm a little confused by your question. Let me see if I understand what you're looking to do. You have a "Smartphone" and a laptop (sadly, you provide ZERO details as to EXACTLY what models you have and what Operating System(s) your running). It seems you can connect your laptop to the web via the cellular connection your smartphone provides (either through the smartphone's "Hotspot WiFi or through a cable connection from the smartphone to the laptop). I think you'd rather connect via a WiFi network that is NOT done through your smartphone. Is that correct? If so, on your laptop, install an App like "Stumbler" (there are several similar apps, some of which are free; Google "stumbler" and pick the one for your OS). Once a stumbler app is installed, open it and turn on the laptop's WiFi. Stumbler will show what (if any) WiFi signals are in range and, whether those signals are "locked" or "open". Locked signals are encrypted and, you will need a password to use them. Open signals require no password and MAY (or may not) be open to general use. Many stores (Starbucks, McDonalds, Wendys, airports, Public Libraries etc) offer open, unencrypted WiFi for free. Keep in mind, many other people are likely to be using these free WiFi Access Points (APs) and, some might be less than honest. Those people may try to gain access to your laptop while you're using the free WiFi and then steal your personal data or, install "malware" on your computer or smartphone. Use caution, especially with important personal data (I would NOT do any banking or typing in my credit / debit card information when on a public WiFi). Use extra caution if you're using a Windows OS (much more likely to be hacked / compromised than Linux or Mac OSes). Make sure URL's you're going to are secure (https not just http). Using "free" public WiFi will reduce the amount of data used on your smartphone and should save you some money. Smartphones can "sniff out" what WiFi signals are available so, before you even start your laptop, try using your smartphone to see if there are any WiFi APs in range (look in System Preferences and turn on WiFi first). If all you find are "locked" signals, try asking for a password. Many stores password protect their WiFi networks but will allow customers access. Ask politely if you can use their WiFi. the worst they can do is say no. If you are granted access, do NOT share the password. Simply direct people who might ask, to the person who does have the authority to allow access. If this hasn't answered your question(s), post again with more specifics (smartphone make, model and what OS it's running. Make, model of your laptop, the OS it's running, how much RAM it has, what Apps we're talking about etc. I realize that getting ALL of the neccessary setting can be somewhat daunting (especially on older Windows OSes) but, hang in there. Keep notes of what you do and the order in which you do them. Once a WiFi network is set up, it will be easier to connect again. If there is a Public Library near you, stop in and ask at the Reference Desk if someone can help you get your settings done right. Again, TAKE NOTES so that you'll be able to duplicate what's been done the next time you need to connect to a new network. If you run a home WiFi network, read the instructions that came with the router (or download them if you've lost them) and, set up at least basic encryption to help protect you at home. Google and YouTube can be your friends. Through Google, you can find and read specific instructions on how your equipment should work. YouTube will actually show you how many things are done and, you can watch an instructional video over and over again in you need to. Good luck!