How can I find a person’s name by their email address?

Drsunil V May 11, 2014

1. Erlis D

As far as I know this depends on the privacy set by the user at their e-mail settings. Most of the sites use to search by e-mail address by checking the social networks the user you are searching used that account.
    But also that depends how the user has set the privacy settings.
    For example, I have my e-mail which I signed up to Facebook. The privacy settings in my e-mail are set to default(I haven't made any changes), but on my Facebook privacy settings I have disabled public search and search by e-mail. So if someone would try to search by e-mail, name on any search engine or any service nothing will show up (this actually doesn't work on Facebook 100%, but that's another discussion).
    So to conclude it, it depends on the privacy set by many sites that e-mail is connected to. If the privacy for all the sites is treated carefully by the user and also the privacy system of the sites itself is really powerful, nothing will show up. So, most likely you will not get any results! Sorry!
    If you find something that proves the opposite, please tell me!

• Bruce E

Social networks are not the only source for this information, it is just the first source that most people think of. Anyone who has had an account on a website that has been hacked may have their name and email available on any number of sites. If you have ever sent an email to anyone and you set up the account to display your real name, they will have that made available to anyone who has ever received an email from you (My Real Name [mailbox@example.com]). Your friends sending mass emails with everybody listed on the To: and CC: lines? Everybody who received it now has that information. It was forwarded by everybody on that list to everybody in their address books? That information is now in the hands of all of those recipients. The email of one of those recipients was hacked? That hacker now has this information, too. He sold this list to how many people and companies or posted it on a darkweb site for use by spammers and phishers? It doesn't take much for this to get out there, so a search on any of the major search sites makes it quite likely that it can be found. And if you have ever posted to Usenet, it is definitely out there.

• Drsunil V

@Erlis D : Thanks. Very nice answer! I was absorbed reading your points. @Bruce E : Thanks. I agree that www is a huge meshwork in which one's email address's privacy can get easily defeated

• Erlis D

@Bruce E: I think you are right in some points, but still we are talking for normal users, and not cases when sites are hacked and so on... It is quite true that if personal informations are shared(in this case name or e-mail), it will obviosly be visible on search engines/motors. Try it yourself, search first by e-mail and then by name, and see what is private and what not about you. If you use your e-mail a lot, you should know to whom you sent your e-mail. So, basically, I would recommend two e-mail addresses, one with no real name where you register in sites you don't actually know if it is secure or not (you can always change you e-mail to the "secure" one when you feel sure of it), and one that you use for work, mailing close friends or other secure information. These are some tips, but there are quite a few other options.
      @Drsunil V: I'm glad I could give you some tips! :)

I often find that simply googling the email address does the job or if not, typing the part before the @ sign does.

• Drsunil V

I tried googling email id but it did not work

If above does not work, then try http://www.spokeo.com/email-search or https://pipl.com

http://reverse.addresssearch.com , put the email address and click on Search Email

• Rajaa C

Try http://www.spokeo.com/email-search . I tried all the three for testing, and it threw up the best result.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. I tried spokeo after the reverse address search link. Spokeo could find the name