Where can I find help building a biometric voting system?

Divya October 17, 2014

Hi, I’m doing a project named”Biometric system based Electronic Voting Machine using ARM9 Microcontroller”.

I’m using finger-print based authentication to enhance security for voting during elections. So, after the enrollment phase, the fingerprints and details are stored in a PC which acts as a central server.

During the voting phase, after the finger-print of the candidate is read using finger print module, his finger print should be compared with the fingerprints in the database by the ARM9 controller.

So how is the comparison done?

How are the finger prints extracted from the central server and compared by microcontroller using Visualbasic.Net?

1. Chris

There are some step by step process like -
    Register, de-duplicate, and store > Post de-duplication > Adjudication
    I think you've completed the enrollment process only. Need to de-duplication (duplicate checking) and adjudication process by a matching server.

Hope this will help -

planetbiometrics.com/article-details/i/2163/

2. p johnston

It's r that time of year again.
    Remember that your prof doesn't expect you to finish a major industry project without a team and budget. What he or she is looking for is what was your plan, what was your logical steps and reasons for implementation and what resources did you draw upon - basically how did you manage the project.
    OR
    The prof intends to steal your ridiculously hard work that you are doing for free, because you failed to patent the design/process.

3. Divya

In my project,i'am considering the central server as PC.My project in detail is as follows:

As an example,i have enrolled my fingers using windmill tool and transferred those fingerprints into the fingerprint module, where i'am using KY-M6 fingerprint series.I connected this module to ARM9 board and started the voting process.Comparision and matching of fingerprints is done by fingerprint module and the final result is viewed on PC.So to implement this in real time,I want to store the fingerprints in PC,so that during voting i can directly access the fingerprints from PC (central server).

The fingerprints are stored in BINARY FORMAT in the fingerprint module.And yes,it is a database.

4. Jan F.

Without knowing what your "central server" is and how the fingerprints are stored (format) we can't possibly know how to get data out of it and compare. Is it a database, is it a shared folder, are those images file, are those proprietary files?
    If all of this is trivial for your project I would suggest using a tested and working fingerprint solution so you only have to deal with implementing it into a voting system.

Anyway, here are some links:

Fingerprint recognition
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/fingerprints_biometrics/biometric-center-of-excellence/files/fingerprint-recognition.pdf

Fingerprint recognition library
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/sourceafis/
    http://www.griaulebiometrics.com/page/en-us/fingerprint_sdk

You should also look into your local privacy and data protection laws and deal accordingly with your bio-metric database, data transmissions, data security etc.