How can I find out what graphics card I have so I can get the right drivers?

Anonymous July 11, 2014

My computer was formatted.  I noticed significant deterioration in games since then.  My graphics card that computer picks up is Intel HD Graphics.  How do I install the required 3d graphics driver my PC has if I don’t know what 3d graphics card it has?  Must I open PC and look somewhere or is there another way?

Thank you!

Google the exact make & model of your laptop along with the word "driver" (or drivers) and find the manufacturer's driver download page. This page will have all the drivers for your laptop. You will also find a link there to "specifications" or similar, which will give you a textual summary of the hardware on your laptop.

Also, don't be quick to blame the problem on your video driver. There are plenty of other drivers which can cause similar symptoms (chipset being a common one).

What make and model of computer do you have?

If it is a notebook it could be a hybrid graphics solution with an Intel HD and some dedicated graphics card. By default the device will use the Intel HD then and without the proper driver will not be able to use the dedicated graphics processor.

If it is a desktop system, did you change any connection e.g. the monitor on another output? Did you change/reset any BIOS/UEFI settings?

3. Ben S

I recommend Speccy. It tells you everything you could want to know about your computer, like what motherboard you're using and other info like that. Link:

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

4. Alan W

Are you sure that you have a PCI(E) graphics card and not just an onboard card?

maybe you need better graphic card than your Intel HD Graphics.
    you can check this video to see if your motherboard has an external graphic card
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmYavyyBtGk

Computer was formatted.
    Only Graphics card that shows up is Intel HD Graphics...
    Which i believe is the integrated graphics.
    Checked this with GPU-Z also...
    Only Intel HD shows up...

7. Alan W

Open Device Manager then click on Graphics Card to expand and you will see the graphic card type that you have installed.

You can download and run GPU-Z to get all kinds of details of your video subsystem including its name or series, manufacturer, and a lot more. By using the manufacturer, you can get to the right website and the name will guide you to the right driver package.