How can my Facebook account have been hacked after I changed the password, and what can I do about it?

Anonymous May 14, 2014

Good morning people,
I have a problem with my Facebook account, I have been seeing some unusual activity on chat. At times, when I know I’m not using my account, my friends tell me that I am online (green light comes on and off) so I went to my security settings and had a look to see if any other computer had logged in to my account and hey presto there were various IP addresses that I couldn’t have logged into from because they are many many miles way from my home.

I ended all of the sessions and then changed my security password, this gave me the option to log out of all devices and need to insert my new password on any new computers or smartphones, which I did. This was fine for a few hours but at 8am I checked again to see if anyone else had logged in from a different computer and there it was again, an IP address in a town many miles away from my home. How can this be if I closed all sessions and changed my password? I am using a laptop to log into Facebook and my mobile device has asked for the new password which I didn’t introduce so that I could limit the number of known devices that I’m logged into from.

What can I do? it looks like my account has been hacked even with a new password. Strange thing is no messages or posts have been left by whoever is doing this, so they might be just reading my chat conversations with other people.

Could someone give me some insight please.

Mr j.

1. Annamarie M

Use two-factor authentication to prevent unauthorized logins.

2. dragonmouth

Zemana Anitlogger may be the answer. However, before installing Zemana, I would rebuild the system by:
    1) Reformatting the hard drive
    2) Re-installing the O/S
    3) Restoring programs and data from a backup that you know was created before your problems started. You do take regular backups of your system, don't you?
    4) Install Zemana Antilogger

It may sound drastic but it may be the only way of making sure that any information stealing malware is gone.

you can try zemana antilogger
    http://www.zemana.com/
    to check suspicious activity if your pc is hijacked (Stop malicious programs from stealing your usernames and passwords)

I don't have an explanation for what happened to you, but but you prevent this from happening again by using two-factor auhentication. For an explanation and instructions, see this PCWorld article.