How can I extract email messages from dbx files?

July 20, 2014

How to extract messages from .dbx files of OE? Outlook Express dead and messages from Outlook Express folders lost and now I need to save my messages. Need to return emails back. I didn’t execute a compacting of folders before.

Many modern email programs will import Outlook Express messages just fine. For example, if you use Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail or Microsoft Outlook, all you need to do is to choose "Import" (and possibly indicate that you want to import from OE), then browse to the folder where the dbx files are stored and your email program will do the rest.

There are also many conversion programs out there that can convert OE folders, (personally, I'm partial to Emailchemy), but I don't see that they would add anything to the mix. You still need to open the messages in some email program, and as I explained above, most current email programs will do the job just fine.