How can I embed YouTube videos with foreign captions to open with captions on?

Anonymous January 2, 2014

Hi

I’ve read your old post here //www.makeuseof.com/tag/force-subtitles-embedded-youtube-video/, but it seems as those there have been some changes since this was posted.

So, I have some videos I want to have on my site in Portuguese. The closed captions (sub titles) on the original site work. But whenever I try plugging in the code, it doesn’t work. Actually, Google vaguely explains this in their support, saying “just add this code:

&cc_lang_pref=fr&cc_load_policy=1” to the video’s embed code.
“cc_lang_pref” sets the language for the captions shown in the video.
“cc_load_policy=1” turns captions on by default.

Well, if you are a novice, you wonder, okay, “So where the heck do I place this code??” I did finally tinker around with it, but it didn’t work.

So, my guess is, that YouTube changed this around.

Here is a sample (the code) of one of the videos:

Thanks! Have a nice day.

1. Gijs

It used to work for me but doesn't anymore!
    The code below should play with German subtitles, but instead shows whatever you selected manually.

Any hints would be appreciated...

regards, Gijs

This still works (just tested on a sample page I put on my test server).. The code they are talking about adding is appended to the URL of the video in your EMBED tags. You need to change their example for the language preference to whatever language you want displayed (their example is French). If the language specified is not supported for that particular video, captions will be off (at least they were with my test).

• greg

ok thanks, I will try again:)