How can an email appear in the “Sent” folder without having actually been sent.

Anonymous June 30, 2014

Found a sent email in my boyfriend’s Yahoo “Sent” folder. At the bottom it says “sent from iPhone”… He claims he did not send it. Is this possible??

If I understand your question, your boyfriend uses Yahoo on a PC/Mac, and you found a message with a note saying it was sent from his iPhone (which he denies, and may not even have an iPhone). I can only imagine two scenarios where this could happen:

• Someone hacked his account and sent a message using his credentials, from an iPhone.
    • He received a message from an iPhone and forwarded it, so the note at the bottom says that it was sent from an iPhone...

There may be some other explanation, but I can't think of one...

Normally:
    When you hit the send button the email is transmitted to the (outgoing) SMTP server and once successfully transmitted a copy of said message is placed in the "Sent Messages" folder.

Other than that the Sent Messages folder is just that – a folder. Any message can be moved in or out of it, regardless of it being a received email, sent message or just a draft.

So a message being in the sent folder means neither, that this message has actually been sent, that it left the SMTP server you are using or that it was received by the recipient.

I have had emails in the "Sent" box but the recipient never received the message, but regardless, the message was being attempted to be or was sent (email written and the send button clicked).