Why can I earn only 30 points a day om MakeUseOf?

Ashwin D May 3, 2014

Hi everyone. I have a query on the new points system. I have read the rules on the pointing system and it says ” There is a daily limit on how many points can be earned”. In my case, I can earn a maximum of just 30 points per day. That is … 10 points for each sharing on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus. I could earn as much as 100 points a day just for sharing back when the old points system existed. Is it just me or many here?

1. Ben S

Dalsan is correct - it's to cut down on abuse of the system.

If you ever have any more questions or want a more in-depth explanation, I'm sure Erez would be happy to talk to you. He's the head of the program.

You can contact him at erez@makeuseof.com.

Thanks for using the MakeUseOf points system!

The lower daily limit for obtaining points is to reduce the abuse of the system. There were many people trying to gain as many points as possible without deserving or truly earning the points, and then would use the points to redeem various software and hardware products. It was becoming costly and reduced the quality of the website, and that prompted MUO to find another way for users to gain points in a more fair manner.

There are still faults and many people have complained, butthe quality of the website and the amount of giveaways being offered has increased. I would like to see more methods of obtaining points, especially here in the Q&A section, as there are many users that work hard and add value to MUO, but are not rewarded with points like they should be. I've noticed a drop in users that try to help answer questions as the main reward is a thank you and a job well done, but I also noticed a huge drop in spam answers that offered no help or value.

MUO is always open to suggestions, and if any suggestion is feasible, it may be implemented. Once any abuse is seen, an investigation and review occurs to see if there are any ways to fix the issue(s). If there isn't a reasonable method to fix the issue(s), then removal of the part of the system in question occurs.