How can I dual boot Windows XP on my Windows 7 PC to keep XP safer?

Anonymous April 8, 2014

I have a PC currently running Windows 7. Can I also dual boot Windows XP and use the protection of 7 to keep XP safer than it would be on its own?

1. Sam K

Dual booting XP and Win7 is not going to help you protect XP. The best solution in my view (and the one I'm using) is to use XP inside Win7. Below is how I use:

1. Main OS-Win7 x64
    2. Install VMPlayer (it comes for free. Grab one from below. I Do Not recommend VirtualBox as it works a bit slow and interface is messy)
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_vmware_player
    3. Install XP as a Virtual OS using VMPlayer. Very Simple to do so. Ask if you get stuck somewhere.
    4. Whenever you want to use XP, just power it up from VMWare and use it.

Why I recommend - All data to/from XP is basically going to flow from your Win7 OS. So for example if you have a firewall on Win7 and block a website setting a filter, you won't be able to open that website inside XP.

hope it helps!

you need to install full antimalware solution for protecting windows xp. you cant use another operating system to protect windows xp.

Dual booting will make your Windows 7 system less secure, rather than making Windows XP more secure. What you can should to is to run XP in a virtual environment.
    There are several products and ways to do this. Some Windows 7 versions (e.g. "Windows 7 Professional") include a Windows XP mode (XPM). This is a preconfigured XP system that will allow you to use XP-only applications. Another way to do this is to use the free Virtual Box, which emulates a PC on your PC and allows you to install Windows (or other systems for that matter) so that they run on top of Windows 7 (and simoultaneously, unlike dual booting, which starts up one system or the other). There are also commercial products that do a similar job, Virtual PC, Parallels Desktop and others.
    Another approach, which will allow you to keep XP on the current machine, is to use Returnil, Deep Freeze or some other program which will "freeze" your Windows XP and prevent any changes to it from "sticking", such that when you next restart the machine any changes will have disappeared. This won't stop the computer from being hacked or infected, but a simple restart will "clean" it.