Can I disable automatic loading of MakeUseOf article links?

July 11, 2014

I keep Portable Chrome running all the time (I use a laptop from my local library to get online) and I’m noticing that my browser gets laggy when I read articles on MUO.

It seems that whenever I scroll down the article things slow down as it has to get the flyout panel to go with a link to another story on your site.

Most of the time I’m not interested in the article and, if I am, I can click the link. Is there any way to disable the automatic loading of your article links?

I see your writers complain about auto-loading videos on websites but your site’s not that much better when your articles do this.

Correct me if I'm wrong (James?) but the widgets content is part of the page source, it is loaded with the rest of the page, so it's really only the animation that is happening. If that causes lag on your end it's most likely your browser or system.

I don't see any measurable impact on normal Chrome. Maybe try a different browser like Firefox Portable or so and see if performance is any better there.

Also I fail to see the comparison between auto-playing videos which usually create Megabytes of additional data that is automatically loaded (buffered) against a few line of text plus maybe an image an article does. But that's a different discussion anyway...

You are correct. The post-load scripts involved with the sidebar are minimal - they just slide the content in when it comes into view.

There are a few things that cause our heavy page load time, but none of them are in my control I'm afraid: we minimised all our scripts as best as possible. What's left is advertising, and social buttons. Those are killer. We'll be removing a number of the social buttons in the next theme update, but the advertising is obviously something we cant remove.

I should also add that running Adblock actually slows the page down. I'm not clear why, but it does, and the effect is devastating on Firefox (I know this about Chrome, but still). If you're running adblock, try disabling it completely (whitelisting doesnt work, its still loading and still interferes with the page load).

• Jan F

I believe auto-paging extensions/add-ons also cause issues with the page, at least they did in the past.

Running Chrome in Incognito mode should disable all Extensions without having to remove them so that would be an easy way to see if any of them are causing issues.