How can I delete spam email in bulk with Gmail?

Richard W May 17, 2014

How can I delete spam messages in my Gmail in a group, as I can with Yahoo mail? I have to select each mail to delete.

1. Andrew Schwartz

What makes this Gmail question any different from the way Yahoo mail has functioned for years? What am I not getting or what are you not getting?

If they're in the spam folder, just click the "Delete all spam messages now" link at the top (no need to select all).

If they are in any other place, you need to select them first (see below) and then click the "Report Spam" icon (exclamation mark in a circle). This will move them to the spam folder, which can be emptied as mentioned above. The reason for using the spam folder is that it alerts Google to the spams and allows it to block similar messages in the future.

To select individual messages, put a tick mark against each one. To select all, tick the box above the list of messages. You can combine the two methods too - select all messages then deselect a few.

3. dragonmouth

If the emails are in the SPAM folder, select ALL and click on Delete Forever.

If the spam emails are in your Inbox and have a common element (sender or title), you can do a search on the common element, select ALL results and Move to SPAM.

If the emails that you consider spam have a recurring sender, title, or specific words in the text, you can set up filter(s) to automatically delete those emails before they are put in your Inbox. That way you will never see the filtered emails.

However, as happend most often, each spam email will have a different sender, different title and different text so they cannot be deleted automatically. In that case you have to mark each one as spam and then click on Report As Spam.

If your messages are in spam folder,then you can click on button present on left side of refresh button.It gives you option of selected,all,none,starred etc. . then click on delete forever button.

You can do the same thing for inbox and click on delete button.Or in a better way,move all those messages to spam and they would get deleted automatically after 30 days.

5. Rajaa C

Just like yahoo in the spam folder on top of the mails, you will see an arrow pointing downwards beside an empty box. Click it and select all to select all the spam mails in the page. This will select all the spam mails in the page. Then click the delete forever button, which appears once you select the mail. Alternatively, below that arrow you will see "Delete all spam messages now " . You can also just click that link to delete every spam mails in the spam folder, even without selecting the mails.