How can I delete my old Apple account?

Anonymous May 4, 2014

I need to delete my old Apple account, I clicked on the delete account and then it asks me for a password on a old e-mail address that has been changed since the account was set up, I have no idea what the PW could be anymore. So what can I do. the whole reason I’m doing this is because my daughter got a iPad and wants to sync it with her iPhone to text with. So we were trying to do it with iCloud. Please help!

1. Chris Ragan

Keep in mind the iTunes Store security team will be very thorough in keeping with policies that deter theft of accounts and information associated with them. The real lesson here is to keep passwords somewhere safe and to make sure you update your email addresses associated with accounts prior to discontinuing use. While I do understand that this is sometimes beyond control, ultimately we as individuals must be accountable for our actions.

2. Chris Ragan

In reply to the question about what would happen to apps. They would not be able to be updated. It was my understanding that the device was being givin to someone not associated with the account. Perhaps it would be better to change the email associated with the account? This can be done by contacting iTunes support via AppleCare 1-800-275-2273

3. David Ross

Let me tell you a tale of why Apple sucks. I had my Apple account hacked and someone bought an iPad. My credit card took care of the problem right away and credited the money back to me. Apple? Well, that's a different story. I couldn't access my account because the hacker had changed the password. I was on the phone (mainly on hold) with Apple twice for a total of 4 hours. I was asked to give my security question answers. Hey, Apple! My account was hacked! I don't have those answers because the questions were changed! All Apple did, after I emailed the CEO, was to put my account on hold. In other words, contrary to my wishes to close the account, they didn't. This in spite of the fact that they knew it was my account. But policy said they had to get answers to certain questions or else they couldn't close the account, even if it was hacked.

The moral? Unless you have an Apple product (my sincere condolences to you) then don't open an Apple account.

4. Chris Ragan

You don't have to delete the account to change the account associated with the device! Go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > tap on the Apple ID > tap Sign Out and then Create New Apple ID.

• Shaibu

What happens to your apps after doing this? Don't you think it will be difficult to update your apps on the old ID?

You can change or reset the password for your Apple ID account by providing some information.
    https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid

Apple ID: If you forget your password
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5787

6. Rajaa C