How can I create a shortcut for IE10?

Anonymous December 30, 2013

I can’t locate an option to start IE10 by way of a link or icon or any other mode:
(a) on the Start Menu and its All Programs list,
(b) on the Desktop and its Status bar at the bottom of the screen,
(c) or any where else for that matter.
Problem is: how do I start IE if I need to?
It used to be there a few months ago before I began to extensively use Firefox, and later adopted Chrome.
After some thinking I did find a workaround but not the real solution:
(a) I start Expression Web, select any file, and click on Preview in IE10 and that page opens in IE10,
(b) I go to Internet Options and set IE10 as my default browser.
——————————————————————————————————————————————————–
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i3 3220 @ 3.30GHz 54 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B75M-D3H (Intel Core i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz) 28 °C
Graphics
W1953 (1360×768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (Gigabyte)
Hard Drives
932GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZRX-00L4HB0 ATA Device (SATA) 35 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

1. Manoj Kumaar Rakshit

Dear All,

Thank you for your suggestions. As I was going thru all your answers, it struck me why was I looking everywhere else when I should have looked for the executable file of IE and by right clicking on it, send it to start menu and task bar - it was as simple as that, and you all reminded me of that.

As one of you mentioned, I suspect that I may have deleted the icon from start menu and task bar at some point of time having decided not to use IE anymore. But then, when FF and Chrome began to give some seemingly unmanageable problems, I thought of restoring IE and make that my default browser. But those problems prompted me to install IE11 successfully but icon issue remained unresolved until yesterday night.

Today I looked at all your replies, simply searched for Internet Explorer on Start Menu, and search results threw up several folders sitting at different places, picked up at random one of them, realized it was in backups, ran thru the contents, located iexplore.exe, and by right clicking sent the shortcut to start menu and task bar; and, that settled the whole issue.

Thanks again to all of you.

See this Microsoft support article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945402

1) go to IE 10 folder
    2) Locate IE10 icon
    3) Open your star menu bar on your windows desktop, drag and drop IE10 icon to start menu bar

• Manoj Kumaar R

Hovsep A - this is the best answer, simple, short and sweet
      However, I marked the earlier one (Jan F) as the best and now I see no way to change that (it is true that detailed answer helped me to understand the concept behind it).

Thanks for your comment, everyone gave interesting approach to solve the problem, glad that you like my solution. Happy New Year:)

Most of the browser shortcuts are actually referring to the current standard browser. So if you have installed and used Firefox you have most likely set it as the default browser, therefor some of these icons would have changed to open up FF.

Have you tried using the Start menu search? Internet Explorer should be listed in there somewhere unless you have actually uninstalled it (which I doubt since you said you could open it using work-arounds) or manually deleted the Start menu entry for it.

If it is there you can just right-click it and select the various options e.g. pin to taskbar, pin to Start menu, Send to > Desktop (create shortcut).

If it isn't you will have to manually create shortcut(s) for IE10. You can find it within "C:ProgramsInternet Explorer" or "C:Programs (x86)Internet Explorer" (on 64-bit). The file you want to start/point to is the "iexplore.exe". You can right-click and do the same as mentioned above.

Create a new shortcut on the desktop pointing to the executable by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting New - Shortcut. In the location box, either enter C:Program Files (x86)Internet Exploreriexplore.exe or browse to that folder and select the iexplore.exe file. This shortcut can then be copied to C:UsersusernameStart Menu if you wish it to appear there as well.