How can I create an installer for my software?

Anonymous June 21, 2014

Dear Friends,

I want to create an installation file which will open as wizard and install the program to C:/Program Files. At the end of the installation, I need to place an icon on the desktop and link it to the main program present in program files.

I tried to do this with iexpress.exe but was unable to keep a desktop icon and it was not allowing to write the files to C:/Program Files.

Help me to solve this problem. thanks

Manjunatha

1. Udayveer S

Nullsoft NSIS Installer (The best Free tool for you.)

Brought to you by the same team behind the once wildly-popular Winamp media player, NSIS is a scriptable installation app builder that is tight on system resource usage and generates fast executables. The lack of a wizard-style GUI could be intimidating to those who are averse to text files, but the price of free makes NSIS a worthwhile product which can be used for both home and commercial purposes. You can even take compressed ZIP files and convert them to EXE setups with a basic converter app called Zip2Exe.

Download here - http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

Your created installer needs to request the proper permissions to be able to install to Program Files. If you are using Visual Studio to create your program, it also has a facility to create an installer for your program. I haven't used versions that are compatible with Windows 8, so I don't know the exact steps you need to follow, but it should be included in the documentation.

• Manjunatha M

i am using MATLAB to create GUI and EXE File.
      Presently i am Stuck with it, i thought to make stand alone application so that large number of physicist can use it. but MATLAB is giving so many errors with the stand alone application. without having matlab in the users computer they are unable to use it. Even that software is not freeware i cant ask the user to install it. so my whole six months of work is going down. So if possible you can me help me to choose the proper language to build my software and distribute to most of physicist.

my program features:
      1.includes integration
      2. includes Differentiation (Higher And Partial)
      3. Ploting Graph (more than 4)
      and
      4. storing Large values in a output file.

thank you.

• Bruce E

You may want to consider testing it under Octave. If it works there, you don't have to worry about others having to purchase MATLAB since Octave closely resembles it and it is freely available. Most MATLAB programs can run under Octave with no or minimal modifications.

• Bruce E

When you compile a MATLAB app, it links to the MATLAB runtime which is why a computer without MATLAB cannot run it. You can download the freely available MCR from MathWorks for those machines.

• Naik.manju98

i am trying it with octave, all the matlab codes are running fine in octave. but my GUI is not responding in the octave giving error while loading it. so i planned to create GUI in octave and link the matlab code to the new octave GUI. will it work..?

if you know i need help in creating GUI in octave( few Basic Steps, latter i can go on my own).

• Bruce E

Before going through the hassle of rewriting your GUI code, try the compiler runtime I linked to above on the machines without MATLAB. It should provide everything needed for your compiled .m file to run on machines without MATLAB installed. Only if that does not work for you should you put in the extra effort to recreate your GUI.

• Naik.manju98

ya i am trying to compile it, and googling how to fix it.. but there is no proper answer. my matlab GUI main function giving error. rest everything i could sort it out.

You need to use a proper software packager. See for example the list at http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-apps-for-creating-installation-packages/ .