How can I convert a PDF document into an Excel spreadsheet?

Giuseppe C August 23, 2014

How to convert (plugin or else) a PDF multipage file into an Excel 2010 spreadsheet with the possibiity to set field by field the columns headers of the of the resulting Excel file.

Regards,

Giuseppe

1. Edwin H

I wrote an article for the same issue, you can check it here: http://pdf-tips.blogspot.in/2014/08/how-to-convert-pdf-to-excel-file.html

If you need any help related to the topic, feel free to ask.

Edwin

2. Giuseppe C

Thank you for your answer; from my experience it seems that a good option is to use the acrobat pro XI function regarding the exporting content. Another key point is to go on page by page; I mean not all the PDF pages together.

Regards,
    Giuseppe

There are two main ways you can convert PDFs to spreadsheets:
    Copy & paste. Depending on how the spreadsheet was created, this may work perfectly or not at all, but it's so simple that it's worth a try!
    Using special software. There are several packages for this specific job, such as Abbyy Transformer or Nuance PDF converter. The better OCR packages (Abbyy FineReader and Nuance Omnipage) can also deal with it. All of those packages cost money though, and while the results are generally good, they're not always perfect.

As for setting custom column headings, I dont think there's an automated way to do this during conversion, but it's easy enough to change the headings once you have the spreadsheet, and you could easily automate that using a macro in Excel 2010.