How can I control a Mac from an iPad without access to the internet?

Anonymous January 8, 2014

I have a MacBook Pro that I wish to access remotely with my iPad. Now, I have an old wireless router that I set up as a network. Both devices connect to the router and communicate and talk back and forth. However, all the apps I have found to do remote-access and control the Mac’s screen from the iPad require an internet connection. Are there any apps that I can use to control the mac without an internet connection? Remember that both the Mac and the iPad would be on the same network.

For full remote desktop control the most popular one is probably Teamviewer.
    On your Mac you will have to activate "accept incoming LAN connection". Then you will be able to connect from your iPad using the internal/LAN IP address or hostname (computer name).
    http://www.teamviewer.com/

You could also use any VNC viewer application available for the iPad.
    On your Mac go into System Preferences > Sharing, enable Screen Sharing and then click computer settings to enable VNC and set a password. Like in Teamviewer you can then use the internal IP address or hostname to connect with the VNC viewer on your iPad.

* hostnames may not work at all times, it mostly depends on whether the router does have an internal DNS service or not

VNC should work just fine . You'll need to install a VNC server on the MacBook, and a VNC client on the iPad (there are several different ones available), and type the IP address of the Macbook into the VNC client.