Can I continue to use my ADSL router now that I have changed my ISP from Airtel to Reliance?

Nice G May 1, 2014

Hello,

I have Beetel 450tc1 ADSL 2+ modem/router which I had been using with my Airtel wired broadband connection for WiFi access. Recently I switched services to Reliance WiredBroadband. Reliance is providing a direct cable internet connection with an RJ45 cable but my Beetel has an RJ11 slot. I am not sure if there is a way in which I can continue to use use the same modem. Some cable converter/adapter or something. Please suggest!

An adapter/converter won't work as the RJ11 WAN port is not suited for Ethernet.

You can connect the RJ45 Ethernet of your broadband to any Ethernet port on the router and configure the DHCP server to hand out the gateway and DNS servers you'd get directly connecting to the Ethernet internet cable. This should work without much problems.

However, unless the router allows you to set the Ethernet port to "act as a WAN port" you will lose most of the functions including the routers firewall, port forwarding etc. as these usually only work between the WAN port (RJ11) and Ethernet/WiFi

• Nice G

Thank you for your response. It gives me some hope that I can put this to work without having to invest in new router. Is there anyway I can get this DHCP configuration details from other than my service provider because I have been trying to reach out to them for the past one week with no success? I would greatly appreciate any help in this regard.

Thank you again!

• Jan F

You should, yes. Connect your computer to the Ethernet cable. Once you have internet access follow the guide at the following link (depending on your Windows version).
      http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/f/default-gateway-ip-address.htm

I'm not familiar with the Beetel modem/router. Try looking through the configuration – some routers with integrated modem allow you to actually set the first Ethernet port as WAN port. If that option is available all you should have to do is chose that option, connect the Internet Ethernet cable to Port 1 and the rest should work as it is without limitations.

If that option is not available, first try to only set the default gateway as well as the DNS server for the router itself. For the DHCP configuration the default gateway should be your routers IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.1) and the DNS servers the once you set for the router/you got via the Internet Ethernet cable).

Getting this to work (if possible) is pretty much trial and error as it depends on whether the "Internet cable" is performing NAT or routes the public IP through and in the first case if it's the same or a different class network than your existing home network.