How can I connect my Nexus 7 to my TV?

May 2, 2014

Can I connect my Nexus 7 2nd generation (2013) tablet to my Acoustic Solutions (LCD32761HDF) TV? If so, how?

1. Rajaa C

I presume Nexus 2nd. gen supports Widi. If your TV has an embedded Widi, then connectivity is simple to setup. If your TV does not have WiDi, refer to the video of how to setup a WiDi adaptor with your TV.

Video link to give you hint :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXFg8VBmv1A

2. Lynnsmith789

I think miracast will be my best option as I am in Portugal where we have lost UK TV and I need to be
    able to watch Filmon on the large screen. I just now need to find a miracast dongle that will definitely
    support 1080i as I do not want to waste money by buying a dongle that won't work and then having
    to send it all the way back to the UK.

3. Ran K

Chromecast.

4. Ed H.

I would steer clear of the Slimport adapter. I got one and there was lots of video lag and A/V sync issues on my Nexus 7 2013 FHD. I got a decent one so I don't think quality of the unit was the issue, although I can't rule it out having not tried another.

Chromecast works like a charm though :-)

5. Maarten D

I think the Chromecast is the best and the easiest solution.

6. Shailesh G

Your choice depends upon your needs and budget. Here are a few options.

1.Chromecast lets your phone/tablet act as a remote control. The Chromecast unit pulls down the video from the source, not from the tablet/phone.

2.Miracast is another option where what is on the tablet, phone, or computer screen is mirrored to the TV. Miracast requires a Miracast receiver for your TV and has a number of restrictions.

3.Another option is forget the tablet or phone all together and attach an dedicated Android computer on your TV. This will let you use a remote control to run the computer and allow you can browse the web, play video content from any Android app, Skype, text, chat, etc. There are a number of Android sticks (they look like the Chromecast) that will plug into your TV's HDMI port and several set top boxes. I use the Minix X7 set top box and a wireless Logitech K400 keyboard. It works great, is rooted, and running a custom kernel. The performance is great and I have the full Play Store's content available on my TV. I selected the a set top box because it did not have the heating issues which plagues some stick computers .

4.The magic word you want to use in your searches is "slimport".Buy a Silmport adapter.. On amazon. Slimport adapter and HDMI cable will do it.
    A SlimPort-enabled USB port takes the 2+Gbps video stream, packs it in a single-lane DisplayPort-like format, squeezes it out the USB connector's two data wires, the SlimPort adapter picks that up and spits it back out in whatever format it is designed to handle... so it isn't something that can be done with software patches, some hardware-level support is also required. I haven't checked but I think the Tegra3 is older than SlimPort so chances of support there are slim to none.

5.Downloaded a program called Twonky Beam from playstore, and it plays stuff from the internet or videos from your nexus 7..choose what you want to play and beam it..

Source: Various Android forums.

Miracast: Everything to know about mirroring Android
    http://www.cnet.com/how-to/miracast-everything-to-know-about-mirroring-android/

Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 10, and certain Google Play edition phones are compatible with devices that support the Wi-Fi Certified Miracast™ protocol for wireless display. To turn on the wireless display feature, go to Settings > Device > Display > Cast screen > Menu, then check the box next to “Enable Wireless Display.”
    https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2865484?hl=en

Wi-Fi Media lets your Nexus 7 play movies on any screen via HTC's Media Link HD (hands-on video)
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/21/wi-fi-media-lets-your-nexus-7-play-movies-on-any-screen-via-htc/

• Lynnsmith789

Thanks, the miracast looks to be a good option, but as far as I can see you seem to have to have a TV that supports 1080P and mine only supports 1080i. Will it still work?

you should be able to Watch movies 1080i