How can I change the desktop environment in Ubuntu 12.04?

Anonymous May 26, 2014

In Ubuntu 12.04, how do you get it to use Gnome?

1. Rick Sluder

Thanks for all the information. I was successful in installing gnome 3 and find it working great. We who are new to Linux appreciate having access to all of you.

• Ehab N

Rick If your question is answered please vote for the answers so that we get points :D

You must have mentioned GNOME version you're looking to apply for.

Since,GNOME 2 is outdated and is no longer supported,you can use MATE environment which resembles much of GNOME 2 and is a fork of it -

How to Install the MATE Desktop & Go Back to GNOME 2 on Ubuntu

Else,you can also try GNOME 3 -

How to Install & Use GNOME Shell on Ubuntu

3. dragonmouth

Which version of Gnome do you want to install? Gnome 2, Gnome 3, Mate, Cinnamon?
    Gnome 2 is no longer supported. Mate has been developed to be provide Gnome 2 functionality for those that cannot bear to part with Gnome 2. Cinnamon is another Gnome replacement.

As Ehab says you can download and install Mate, Cinnamon and Gnome 3 from the Ubuntu Software Center, and choose the environment you wish from the Login screen.

4. Ehab N

you have many solutions:
    1) you can install Ubuntu Gnome ( a flavor of Ubuntu like Kubuntu, Xubuntu....... etc)
    2) you can already download Gnome from the software center (switch between desktop environments during loging in. you will see a small Ubuntu icon, click it and you will see all the environments that you have)
    3) find the installation commands (I think you will find it at Gnome's official website)
    note: its not recommended to use multiple environments for the same OS so I think the best choice is the first one .
    hope this was helpful :)

• dragonmouth

"note: its not recommended to use multiple environments for the same OS so I think the best choice is the first one ."
      Why not?
      As you say in item #2, one can pick one's Desktop Environment during login. There are Linux distros that install multiple DEs by default, Sabayon being one of them. I have run Linux distros with KDE, XFCE, Windows Maker, JWN, ICEWM and LXDE desktops installed at the same time. Never had any problems. Maybe Canonical, in their infinite wisdom, coded Ubuntu so that it can only run one Desktop Environment - Unity.

• Ehab N

Well as an amateur my little knowledge through reading (check
      a lot of DEs on the same OS could cause them not to work prorperely or most effeciently as it causes changes in settings of progams and might cause a mess. this is just what I know :). tell me if you have other Ideas bro :)

• Ehab N

missed part *(check http://efytimes.com) which I guesse you already know :D they have alot of tips and tutorials.