How can I catch someone who was harrassing my on Facebook?

Jacoba.r.smith May 1, 2014

I was recently being harassed on Facebook by a fake account. After telling him that that the police where going to get involved he blocked me from being able to send or recieve any messages from him. Is there any way that local authorthies can still track where these where coming from?

1. Tim B

Jeff makes some great points – don't bother pursuing a pest, you'll only make things worse. By all means follow up with the police and Facebook's support teams to make a complaint, but leave it at that.

The second you suspect the activity has resumed then leap on it and get the police involved from the start. The fact is it will be basically impossible to trace the person again at this stage, particularly as people don't usually partake in such nefarious activities using their real names or accounts.

Good luck!

That strange feeling you get when your harasser blocks you..

This is the internet, my friend. Block him and be done with it. You're also going to want to report his account to Facebook as soon as possible, just so their is a record of it. Your local authorities probably won't pursue your harasser unless the situation is life threatening or otherwise is serious enough for legitimate concern. The more annoyed you are by his harassment, the more you're giving him exactly what he wants. Don't respond to his messages and don't accept friend requests from people that you don't know in real life. You're on lock down.

If this is a life threatening matter, contact the police immediately. To actually answer your question, yes. Facebook will usually cooperate with authorities in their investigations if the situation is serious enough. I'd bet that your harasser created a fake account without masking his IP Address. With that, authorities could track down his location.

well once the connection is interrupted and if facebook does not release some info to police then they will not be able to track the source