How can I bypass the log in password in Windows 8?

Anonymous March 19, 2014

Yesterday someone offered to fix the errors on my desktop computer. I’m not aware that my computer was sending an errors to Microsoft consumer department. I was asked to pay $100 for the service she rendered and when I declined she threatened me about other stuff, which is so absurd.

Since I let her get in to my computer by asking me to press the Windows key + R and our conversation became brutal. She hung up on me and start playing with my computer. I just sat there watching her play with my computer. I’m not an IT person and I was dumbstruck. So I called a friend and she advised me to disconnect from the internet.

My problem now is how can I bypass the log in password that was put in my screen.A new wallpaper appears before the log in shows up. I cant get in to my desktop page. I got no password before. Does anyone knows what had happened to my computer? Can someone help me, guide me and assist me step-by-step if possible? I would appreciate if someone can help me with this mess.

Thank you and hopefully some IT people or anyone who had experience this before can assist me on how to deal with this.

1. Hanif22109

Thanks for the information that you've given to me. I was able to let someone do it for me =)

2. dragonmouth

"By the way, her contact number is 984-928-2341"
    Don't be surprised when there is a big charge on your next phone bill. As far as I know all "9xx" number are" pay by the minute" and are used most often by scammers to bilk their victims. I would suggest you get the authorities involved in this. They probably would be interested in your case. You have been scammed.

Never, ever let anybody else take over remote control of your system. You need to educate yourself more about what is going on with and on your computer. If there are problems, take the computer to a local shop. Again, NEVER, EVER allow anybody to "fix your computer" over the Internet.

• Bruce E

All 9xx NPAs are not "pay by the minute." Area code 906 handles 18 counties in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, 947 covers 31 counties in Michigan, 989 covers Oakland (County), MI. The 984 in this case covers 3 counties in North Carolina (Orange, Wake, and Wayne) but the 928 NXX (exchange) is not valid for that area code (there is not a 928 exchange there).

There are also many people who do offer remote support for computer problems that are legitimate. I am one of them. We don't do any kind of cold calling, nor do the large computer companies. For almost all repairs, it is more efficient to do it remotely for all parties. Telling people to "NEVER, EVER allow anybody to fix your computer over the Internet" is a rather poor suggestion. You should simply tell them that they should just hang up on cold callers instead. It is the better solution.

• dragonmouth

Sorry if I lumped you in with the scammers, Bruce, but I still think not accepting any calls from 9xx NPA is good advice for two reasons. 1) Many 9xx NPAs are "pay by the minute" 2) as evidenced by this problem, illegitimate phone calls can come from legitimate area codes. Trying to sift through them on the spur of the moment is an almost impossible task.

"You should simply tell them that they should just hang up on cold callers instead."
      You just did. :-)
      We do agree on not accepting cold calls

4. Jeff F

Thank you for the information.

At this point I would recommend that you take your PC to a local computer repair specialist. She should be able to recover your files and worst case scenario, reinstall your operating system to get it functional again. Although, given the circumstance of a very possible malware infection, reinstallation sounds like a good idea to me. If he wants to charge you anything over $150 to reinstall Windows, consider taking your computer elsewhere. $300 is not a reasonable price for a 5 minute re-installation job.

Additionally, if you supplied "Danielle" with any bank/credit card information, you should immediately speak with your bank and the police about this issue.

I'm sorry that I can not be of more assistance to you on this issue.

5. Jeff F

I'm sorry that you had to experience this. Obviously, this was a scam. Microsoft consumer department would never contact you. Please read the following threads. If you would be so kind as to provide me with the name, number and any other information you have about this caller so that I can look into it.

BBB alerts residents to Microsoft tech support scam
    Lost Your Windows Administrator Password? Here’s How to Fix It
    How To Change, Reset, And Picturize Your Windows 8 Password
    What to do if you forget your Windows password
    Local Account Password - Change or Remove in Windows 8

• Hanifmanjra22109

Hi Jeff! Thank you so much for replying to my question. I'd tried to read and understand the links that you've given to me but i still got some concerns. Thank you for the tips. The name of the person i talked too was Danielle with an Indian accent. By the way, her contact number is 984-928-2341 extn: MS441 and there's another number V31901032200000 she said she's from Microsoft Consumer department. I'm using another computer my friends laptop coz i cant get access to my desktop or control panel. is there any other way for me to get in to my computer? right now all i can see is a subway wall paper and as soon as i clicked on my mouse the log in page to get into my computer.