How can I boot Windows using GRUB after deleting /boot partition?

March 30, 2014

So I had recently installed Ubuntu on my Dell Studio 1558 laptop. Because I later realized that I actually intended to install Kubuntu instead, I attempted to remove the partition that Ubuntu was on, however I ended up having to reboot and when I tried to boot back into Windows an error message was displayed on my computer. It read:

“error: no such partition.
Entering rescue mode…
grub rescue>”

I don’t exactly know what to do in order to boot into Windows and finish the job, as well as be able to simply use my computer. Please keep in mind that I want the solution provided to be completely free. Only thing I have access to (other than my Dell Studio 1558) is a an HP G50-213CA running Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit) (with Group Policy and Lightspeed restrictions enabled and an inability to connect to the Internet), a 32 GB USB flash drive (with a bootable copy of Ubuntu), and an Apple iPad 2 running iOS 7.0.2 (11A501). I will not have access to writable DVDs, other computers, or anything like that.

Any and all help is sincerely appreciated.

1. Guy M

Darn. That method requires burning a DVD which you said you can't do.

2. Guy M

This is kind of funny because I did just this very thing tonight!

How To Repair Windows 7 From USB Flash Drive (Repair Without Installation DVD Disc)

3. dragonmouth

You do not need to boot into Windows to install Kubuntu. If you are using WUBI, DON'T. In their WUBI Guide, Canonical states: "Wubi does not work on any new PC with the Windows 8 logo or using UEFI firmware. Please use a 64-bit flavour of Ubuntu, installed directly to its own partition instead."

You need to create a separate partition for Kubuntu and install it there. As part of the install, GRUB will be fixed, it will recognized any other operating systems on the HD and will create a menu that includes them.