How can I back up my Yahoo mail accounts?

jamie lee November 20, 2014

Hi all,

I have several yahoo emails with attached files. so, I want to take backup of yahoo emails to hard drive.

Is there any solution???

Thanks in advance

1. Sajid

If you access Yahoo through the web, I would recommend using Thunderbird and setting it up using IMAP. Then, you can back up the email from Thunderbird by copying your Thunderbird profile.

The reason I recommend Thunderbird specifically is because it keeps folders in MBOX format which is pretty universal, so it will be easy to transfer the messages or restore them to almost anything. Also, the entire profile is kept in one folder which simplifies the backup process.

3. david saina

I tried both method:

First Method: Free

1. Fill Your Account Details:

• Account type - POP3
    • Incoming Mail Server (POP3) – pop.mail.yahoo.com
    • Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) – smtp.mail.yahoo.com

On the Advanced tab:

• Incoming Server POP3: 995
    • Outgoing Server (SMTP): 465

• Bruce E

If you are going to use David's first method using an email client, make sure you check the details of how it is to handle the server transactions. Most clients are configured to delete the emails from the server when using the POP3 protocol. If you still want to keep your email on the server for access via the Yahoo! web interface, you need to make sure your client isn't going to delete them. OR, you could use the IMAP protocol instead. This will sync all of the email on the server and client. So if you delete an email from the client, it will also delete it on the server. Conversely, if you delete an email via the web interface, the next time you open the account on the local client, it will be removed from that store as well.

If you are using Thunderbird as the email client, it can automatically set up the account using either the POP3 or IMAP settings so you don't need to fiddle with them at all. For other clients you will need to use the following:

Account type: IMAP
      Incoming Mail Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
      Port: 993
      Requires SSL: Yes
      Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
      Port: 465 or 587
      Requires SSL: Yes
      Requires Authentication: Yes

5. Jan F.

You could use an email client and access your Yahoo account using the POP protocol. This way emails are being downloaded for offline storage (and could be backed up e.g. using the email clients export function).
    However, if you are primarily using the IMAP protocol or the Yahoo web interface to read your emails you have to make sure to set the client program to NOT delete messages after download. Otherwise they will be removed from the server, gone from your IMAP inbox and the webinterface.

If you want a solid backup only solution I would suggest MailStore Home.
    http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-home-email-archiving.aspx