Can anyone help me with choosing best gaming laptop for around 1250 dollars?

Vincas.bitinas July 18, 2014

Hello guys,

I checked Xotic PC and found these deals :

http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gx60-3be240us-preorder-p-6157.html?wconfigure=yes

http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gx70-destroyer229-gx703cc229-p-6965.html?wconfigure=yes

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8268s-clevo-p150sma-eta-march-p-6987.html?wconfigure=yes

I asked around GameFAQs and they said that MSI Destroyer is the best you can find (for gaming) at that price range (rx 290 vs clevo 6gb 870m).  But I still feel there might be better deal around. Anyone got a better suggestion?

Oh, if deal is super sweet, I *might* add up to 100 dollars if needed.  And is it even worth it to buy a 2014 laptop with Maxwell and Pirate Islands around the corner?

The Clevo is one of the best deals I have seen as far as cost and having the GTX 870M. Most places have the GTX 870M in a gaming laptop with a price of at least $1600, usually closer to $2000. Again, the AMD systems with the A10 cannot compare to an Intel i7 for games that rely on CPU performance. The R9 M290X may be a little better in performance, but the price difference is not worth it.

I can't say that you would really be "settling" for the Clevo, but rather saving at least $200, most likely more, and getting a very capable gaming laptop. Another thing to note is that the graphics cards are user upgradable, so you can pay for a newer card later to extend the gaming life of the computer.

Cheers!

2. Vinnu

you can go for dell inspiron i3337u. it is of 4 gb ram 1 tb hard disk 2gb graphic card which supports every game. with windows 8.1 updated version.

• Vincas.bitinas

thanks for suggestion... but that ultrabook seems very weak for gaming when compared to clevo/msi of mine.

Looks like i have to settle with clevo, no one can suggest better deal over few forums :D

Question: What is the importance of a gaming laptop for you? Where are you going to use it?

The reason I'm asking is that devices like the MSI Destroyer or the Clevo weight over 3.5kg, 7.5lbs. That's a weight you don't want to carry around every day even in a backpack.

If you want to be mobile, you will probably have more fun with the MSI GS60 which weights just under 2kg, 4.4lbs. It does lack an optical drive but with most games being distributed via Steam, Origin, Uplay or the new Battle.net this shouldn't really matter.

If you only take it out like every quarter of the year then I guess the weight is irrelevant. But then again, you will probably use a monitor with it anyway and might as well go for some XPC or mATX device that gives you full flexibility in hardware and future upgrades.

• Vincas.bitinas

i am very tall, 6'2 in american system and strong guy. I dont care about weight at all; i move around 100lb wood logs in my work everyday :D

i just care about best bang for the buck. Best performance.

That is why i am asking for other people opinions - they might know better than me.

Cd driver doesnt matter much; as i will use steam, play dota. And i will not use external monitors

btw; does anyone can suggest better deals than those i listed?

Radeon R9 M290X vs GeForce GTX 870M
    http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-M290X-vs-GeForce-GTX-870M

Radeon R9 M290X vs GeForce GTX 870M
    http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=2005&gid2=1975&compare=radeon-r9-m290x-vs-geforce-gtx-870m-3gb
    Radeon R9 M290X is like Radeon HD 8970M
    GeForce GTX 870M is like 30% better than Radeon R9 M290X

• Dalsan M

The Game Debate site mentioned that the GTX 870M is about 30% better than the predecessor GTX 770M, not the R9 M290X. It states, however, that the GTX 870M should perform a little better than the R9 M290X. In some areas it does, others it doesn't. The slight difference in performance would come down to preference and price as far as what to get.

Another thing to note is that the R9 would produce more heat and use more power than the 870M, meaning less battery life and less comfort due to the heat.

there are better laptops if 100-200USD added, i think GTX870M laptop is good for the money. The R9 M290X doesn't support AMD's TrueAudio technology

According to NotebookCheck.net, the AMD R9 290X is 3% better performing than the Nvidia GTX 870M. You can view several recent games and the FPS performance related to the game video quality listed on the following website, first the AMD R9 290X, and then the GTX 870M.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R9-M290X.108643.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-870M.107792.0.html

You can also see some of the older cards listed that are more powerful in case you can find laptops with them, or if it is an option to use instead. These include the Radeon HD 8970M or the GTX 780M.

• Vincas.bitinas

wow... so 6bg 870 is only little weaver than r9 m290x

but that computer has WAY better processor. Then i must have been mistaken that MSI destroyer is better than clevo for gaming... :(

maybe clevo is better :D

thanks; havent noticed that!

• Dalsan M

The better processor may be wanted due to some games utilizing the processor more so than the GPU. Honestly, a 3% difference in GPU performance is hardly something to jump on, especially if it means the CPU would be slower in the system. If the CPU is better with the 870M laptop, I'd definitely go with that system than the M290X. Also, the battery life may be better and the heat produced would be less with the 870M rather than the M290X.

The systems you selected pose a pretty tough decision due to the size, weight, and slight hardware variances between them. Go with your gut feelings on the CPU, GPU, weight, size, and cost. Depending on the games you wish to play as some rely on CPU more than GPU and others rely mainly on the GPU, each system should be able to handle most of what you throw at them. If you do not care about ultra settings and very high resolution, then the issue of which can handle the games you play lessens.

As far as I have seen, there are very few laptops that I have seen that come close to this price range with the GTX 870M GPU, unless you go for refurbished (and even then, just barely meets the price range). From what I have seen, you can't get much better than the deals you have provided as many of the gaming laptops I have seen with the 870M are around the $1800 to $2000 mark. I'd go with the 870M and better CPU out of these laptops. If you want a gaming laptop, do not go with any AMD processor as it would hinder the performance of the GPU, and the games that rely on CPU performance would suffer compared to an Intel Core "i" series CPU.