What can I do to allow my laptop to play recent games with its old graphics card?

Shegzy4 P August 28, 2014

I’m using a Compaq laptop (see details below). It has Nvidia GeFforce G103M graphics and I have been trying to update it to the latest version but “update” shows I’m using the latest version.

I cant play modern games , with this graphics card. I have also tried downloading the nvidia 700 and 800 series but wont work with directx11. I uninstalled G103M then restarted my PC in safe mode and used driver sweeper to clear NVidia G103M. I restarted the PC in normal mode to install the lates NVidia. After finishing install I restared again but still showing the older NVidia G103M instead of the latest 700 or 800 graphics driver. What can I do to get the latest version of NVidia for modern games?

Model: Compaq Presario CQ81
Processor: Pentium dual core T4400@2.20GHz
RAM: 3GB
OS type: 32 bit

I'd just like to join the chorus here... Nvidia GeFforce G103M is a piece of hardware something physical which you can touch (if you take the laptop apart...). It's not a software component, and installing the nvidia 700 and 800 series drivers will neither remove the G103M nor upgrade it. If the card is unable to run certain games then the only way to run them would be to use a different computer.

Your laptop has an old graphics card which cannot cope with modern games. There is nothing you can do or install to change that. Someone would have to open up the laptop and put in a new graphics card.

However, with a few exceptions a laptops hardware cannot be upgraded in that way. Most of the time both the CPU and GPU are soldered directly onto a circuit board, worst case scenario it is the same one meaning if the vendor did offer a hardware upgrade you'd basically buy an entire new laptop.

That's also the case for the Presario. It has a single mainboard with both GPU and CPU soldered on. So even if Compaq did offer a hardware upgrade, for one, that upgrade would probably be an improvement of 5% with only a slightly better CPU and/or GPU and on top of that you could probably purchase a new system for that money.

No matter which driver you use, and even if you can flash a different firmware to make it say it is a higher level graphics card, it will still be the same Nvidia G103M card. You would have to upgrade the graphics card itself to a better card, but that might not be possible since it may be soldered to the motherboard. DirectX 10.0 is the highest version supported on this card.

http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/?gid=370&graphics=GeForce%20G%20103M

you cant play power hungry games even you installed the latest nvidia driver, you must work with the game requirements few times might work with low settings of the games but doubt this will work with for example Battlefield 4