Can a laptop be used all day like a desktop?

Reý Aetar February 10, 2013

How long can a laptop run with proper cooling and power system?

1. Chinmay Sarupria

You just need power supply and then it can be used all day.

2. EL

Use it on a table or something, so you don't block the air vents.

3. Prashant Mirjankar

Connected to AC power you can use can your Laptop for a whole day or two on a stretch.

4. Tanveer Ahmed

it can be used all day if its pluged in

5. Nevzat Akkaya

I would change the power management settings if I'm planning to use my laptop many days. Many schemes suggest that cpu+screen brightness+other hw to set at max when connected to AC power. However I think that it would be wise to set at "optimal" power setting so that power consumption get lowered when not using actively. This way laptop's life can be extended and problems that are generated from overheating will be less likely to happen.

6. Âdil Farôôq

try using cooling pad and connect directly to AC supply use it as much time as you wish i usually use my laptop in this way up to 3 to 4 days and then give some rest and again the same

7. Rodolfo León

Just keep it on a desk or hard surface and it can run forever. If you are keeping it in the same place, you should remove the battery so you don't ruin it and can use whenever you need.

8. Tim Brookes

Yes, absolutely. My MacBook is literally never off unless I'm travelling, and even then I can sleep it and still have all the battery I need left when I get to my destination. As long as you have adequate cooling (i.e. the laptop isn't constantly spinning up the fans, kicking out a lot of heat etc) then there's no reason it can't carry on as if it were a desktop machine. It might not last quite as long, but that's because it's a laptop and being mobile it will take a bit more of a battering than a stationary desktop PC.

If you're really concerned then you could get a laptop cooling pad, which is a USB-powered bed of fans that you sit your laptop on. Many of them come with USB hubs built in, some are super light and others are big chunks of metal. They all do a good job though - and that's blow cool air at your laptop. If yours is especially hot then you might want to consider investing in one.

9. Ron Lister

I'm told it can cause problems for the batery leaving it plugged in all the time, but the batery can be removed. Just be sure you work in a clean flat uncluttered area where no damage will come to the batery compartment if it is left open or find a way to cover it without anything comming into contact with the pins inside or blocking any airflow vents.

10. Tareq Nusairat

I have seen what others wrote but no one mentioned this ! YOU SHOULD REMOVE YOUR BATTERY while using it 24/7 so it won't be damaged and reduce its lifetime 'cause i didn't remove mine and now it runs for like an hour then goes it but it's and old laptop anyway :) so remember that and i hope i helped.

11. Roshin idi

Connected to power it should be good for whole days use. Battery about 4 or 5hrs

12. Swaggrous Emeks

Of course it can. just make sure you connect it to an AC power outlet and it's good for more than a day

13. Nikhil Pandey

Yes it can be. I have a slow internet connection (i get speed of about 10 - 15 kb/s). SO i keep my laptop on all the time. Sometimes i dont close it for a week. But be sure to keep it on a flat surface like table so that your laptop doesnt heat up quickly.

if you can keep the laptop properly cooled then you can use it 24h, if you go to schools you can see that they keep laptop run all day, perhaps you will need to restart one time during the week to help reset to best conditions. New laptops will not keep charging the battery endlessly, but "turn off" the charge function once the battery is full. You can use hard drive monitoring tool, so that if it become very hot will shut down the laptop for you.

With the power supply plugged in and plenty of ventilation, for as long as you want it turned on.

16. Jacques Knipe

I've got a laptop as my primary computing device. It's on and running, copying or downloading 16 hours a day and I've never had overheating problems or any other trouble with it. I let it rest the other 8 hours though.
    I work on it in a very hot room with no air conditioning at all and it works perfectly. Other than being slightly hot to the touch when I'm typing and my palms are rested on below the keyboard, it works perfectly.

if you are scared of your laptop overheating you can pick up something like a laptop fan http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/laptopdesksstands/tp/coollaptopstands.htm
    When I first bought my laptop I wanted to get such a laptop fan-stand but as I used it I realized I don't need one at all.

Another point I want to comment, laptops nowadays are being built much tougher than when laptops first came out. It also depends on what type of laptop you are using, i.e. materials, how it is built, in what environment you are using it etc.

as long as you want with enough battery or ac power

Yes, it's a common way of using laptops (my wife uses it this way). The only thing to remember is to keep the laptop on a hard surface so it remains well ventilated.

19. Aska Nag

Hi!
    If you do not run resource-intensive applications on it, then you can work without shutting down for a long time. I have had periods of work without shutting down over 10 days.
    Best regards!

20. Erlis Dhima

I've let my laptop turned on for about a week or 10 days, and there was no problem. I suggest you work on a desk, like Jim said! But, I wouldn't recommend using your laptop at that level.. Since it's a laptop, it has not the power of a computer. For example, I used to render videos on my laptop.... and after doing this several times, I had problems with cooling (it shutted down when the temp went to high). And, it was needed to replace the thermal paste to fix the laptop from getting hot!
    So, to recap, you can use it as a desktop, but it's not recommended!
    But, if you leave it on for download or other small things, its okay at some point!

Connected to AC power it should be good for whole days use. Must be on a hard flat surface free of clutter like a desk or table for cooling efficiency.