How can I make calls from a tablet?

Dip Bagchi August 28, 2012

Calling through Karbon tab is possible? Kindly explain.

1. HLJonnalagadda

Nimbuzz would be a good bet

2. Harshit Jain

Use VOX voip or Skype for android. Also there google voice, groove ip

3. VictorGeis

Making a call with Google Voice with WiFi might be worth a try.

4. Blake Andreasen

GrooveIP app from Play store is awesome, I am living in China and can make and recieve calls and text all for free to US and Canada.

You can simply check it by looking whether your tablet has phone and text/mms message apps.

6. ReĆ½ Aetar

Try out NIMBUZZ OR SKYPE

7. CanYouHearMeNow
  8. Hoku Sarroca

would this work on a asus transformer prime???

Yes, it certainly would. Do install the application TANGO. Unlike connection limitions of other softwares, it supports WiFi, 3G, 4G and supports multi-platforms like Windows PC/Laptop, iPhone, Windows Phone and Android. You can get more details at http://www.tango.me/ . Alternatively, you can also use Skype for Android or WhatApps. All are available at Google Play.

• Hoku Sarroca

I d/l it on the transformer prime now it asked for mobile number... well transformer prime doesn't have a number so do I put in my cell number??? am confused here... if you don't mind giving more detail on how to get this set up on the prime... skype i'm not too fond of ...

Visit the link below to know how to install Tango in your Asus Transformer prime tablet -

http://support.tango.me/entries/20305176-android-how-do-i-install-tango

• Hoku Sarroca

done all that... and when it asked for number ... my prime is not connected to any cell phone number... only my cell phone... so wasn't sure if I was suppose to put my cell number to it or what not so I did... but other then that still confused... sorry ...

Tango also acknowledges this issue with their app and doesn't provides any resolution to this as I'd noticed and I thought it would work without any hitch.They suggest that -

" Currently Tango requires a phone number when registering on Android tablets, unfortunately this cannot be the same phone number or email address that you have used to register on your mobile phone.

You can register using any telephone number you own, including Land lines and Google Voice number. Your friends will then be able to find you either through this phone number or the email address you used to register.

Note: Tango currently requires you to register with a different phone number and email address on each mobile device you wish to Tango on so make sure you don't re-use the same ones if you are registering multiple devices. "

So try following their methods,else contact them to submit your request in the link below -

http://support.tango.me/anonymous_requests/new

If still this doesn't works,then you can try Google talk which is although limited to Google account holders only.

Even though another good calling app Viber,in which the development team also admits that their app doesn't works in Android tablets.

9. venkatp16

Does it has option to inset SIM? if not you have to use any third party applications which provide online services.

You can also use Skype for Android.

Install the application TANGO. Unlike connection limitions of other softwares, it supports WiFi, 3G, 4G and supports multi-platforms like Windows PC/Laptop, iPhone, Windows Phone and Android. You can get more details at http://www.tango.me/ .

It should be possible, but may require three things: (1) a Voice over IP application for Android; (2) Bluetooth headset; (3) an active WiFi connection.

In theory, if the device has Bluetooth, then it should support some kind of calling, using VoIP software.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the Karbonn Tab has a built in microphone, so it certainly does not support calls unless you have a Bluetooth headset available.

According to comments made on a website dedicated to the Karboon Tab, Skype is not supported and neither is Google Talk. However, there are still many different applications available in the Play Store that can handle VoIP:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=voip&c=apps

Provided you find a compatible application there, in theory, you should be able to use the device as a VoIP phone.

And finally, you need to have your device connected to a WiFi connection with reasonably good bandwidth. Good luck!

• April Eum

i didn't know you could make calls. thanks for this quick tut!

• Kannon Y

You're very welcome, but finding an app is 90% of the work and I'm unaware of anything that people are universally happy with. My favorite by FAR is 3CS, but it's not available on all devices. And its reviews are not exactly sterling.

http://www.3cx.com/VOIP/voip-phone.html

You may not require a bluetooth headset. I believe the Karbonn Tab is India only, consequently, its design reflects the better priced prepaid phone plans over there. There's less incentive to include mics on tablets.

However, most of the flagship tabs released in the US (such as the Asus Transformer series) designed as an all-in-one device for computing, include a built-in microphone. So for many major tablets, you don't even need a Bluetooth headset.