Does cable internet speed really affect wireless reception?

Paul September 10, 2010

I switched to basic cable internet subscription, and I’m finding my ROKU and two laptops constantly trying to connect to my router. I’ve added Trendnet extender, but still low. However, even when I have the Internet Preferred boost plan, the same slow response was evident. How can I improve/speed up the wireless transmission?

1. paul

thanks, smokey....i'll shop around!

I had the router before I switched from DSL to cable, so I just purchased the router. However, even if your weren't having signal issues, you would not be able to stream HD on a 802.11g router.

3. paul

thanks, both!

smokey99, the surfboard gateway i have is a combo router modem....what was your reason to have a separate modem and router? by the way, the cable company was the one who recommended the surfboard gateway.

rcarpenter, the router is in the upstairs office, and the extender is just about 20 ft away, in the middle of the house. i;ll check your recommendations.

Is your router next to a Microwave, cordless phone, etc. You should use inSSIDer or NetSurveyor to check your wirelesses signal strength. Move the AP or extender so you get better performance. The -50 ~ -40 range or better is what you want.

If the signal strength is is extremely low you laptops and ROKU player would try to connect each time the signal drops completely. The SURFboard gateway only uses 802.11 b and g, and does utilize the n protocol, which provides the best wireless range and speeds. The speed of your internet package has nothing to do with the strength of your wireless network. I'm using the SURFboard SB6120 cable modem, and a DLink DGL-4500 wireless router using 802.11n. My router/modem is in my office upstairs and I have never had a problem with signal strength to either of my ROKU boxes or laptops connecting anywhere in my home.

I would recommend replacing your modem/router, and upgrading to 802.11n. Check out this site for some tips on other ways to improve the reliability of your wireless network:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx

Hello Paul,

What type of wireless router are you using?

• Paul

Smokey99,
      thanks for replying...i'm using a motorola surfboard gateway.