How do I bypass provider throttling on streaming Netflix or YouTube?

May 9, 2014

I have Internet service that is hindered enough to prevent streaming of Netflix Shows/movies on my brand new Smart LG TV. I have been hearing about a USB plugin to get this type of streaming – it lets me get YouTube right now but Netflix requires a faster Internet speed (more Mbps?) and Fairpoint. my provider. does not provide the higher speed in my particular area.

There are other companies that do but want to rip me off for high charges – is there any way around that!??!

I hate cable companies ripping us off and actually use an HD antenna that receives 13 network channels – such a great savings.

1. Metawolf

A vpn could help if his ISP was throttling his speed to Netflix only. The VPN would hide the destination and protocols so that the ISP does not know that it is Netflix related traffic and therefore he will get the full speed that he is paying for. If his overall speed is too slow, as reported by speedtest.net, then the only fix is to pay for a faster connection.

2. Pawan B

I think you should watch videos on low quality which will use low bandwidth and data.

3. Clive R

The problem is that bandwidth costs the ISP money either in renting it themselves from a central provider or setting up their own infrastructure - the more bandwidth used the more infrastructure needed. For truly unlimited services (at least with today's technology) there would need to be massive investment which ultimately means the price going up. It is like petrol for a car the more you use the more you pay and it would be unfair to charge someone who only uses the net for checking email and a bit of browsing the same as a person who uses it for 50% of their entertainment.

Fibre optics and the like are slowly improving things but are only cost effective in large urbanised areas. There are people in some areas who still only get 1 - 2 Mbps because of physical line capability and their location relative to the nearest access point and think giving wider fairer access should come before hyper speeds and low cost massive bandwidth.

4. Matt

if it is a smart tv you should have netflix and youtube installed and the most practical workaround to throttling would be investing in a VPN I personally do not use one but I hear that they do speed up your connection significantly.

• Alex

No, that is wrong. A VPN will slow your connection speed significantly. A VPN is used to connect to another network; a VPN has nothing to do with your network speed other than the fact that your connection will most likely be slower while using the VPN.

• Bruce E

If an ISP is limiting your bandwidth, a VPN isn't going to help. If your connection will only allow a downstream speed of 300Mbps, a VPN cannot increase it. And if you are paying for a faster connection and your provider decides to (globally) throttle it, all traffic - including VPN - will be affected by it. If it is being throttled based on the packet type (hello, Net Neutrality), a VPN MAY be able to help in that case.

5. William S

What speed do you get from your ISP? IOW, what speed are you paying for? If you are on the lowest tier, Netflix might not be possible IME. Try http://www.speedtest.net/ for answers. Changing Netflix quality could help. Truthfully, tiers should not exist. One price - full speed ahead regardless.

well perhaps you can change Netflix quality, Sign in to your Netflix Account and check Manage video quality.
    How can I control how much data Netflix uses?
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87