How can I bypass a Microsoft Word file opening password protection?
Question by Alex Shen /

Okay, I have a short story which I am writing at the moment, and to stop various people (e.g. my brother) from reading it, I put the password protect thing on. I am using MS Office 2008 for Mac on my Macbook Pro 13″ (the cheaper, less powerful one).

The problem is, I seem to have forgotten my password, or just keep getting it wrong. Honestly, I am not trying to hack someone else’s files, I just really want to be able to keep writing my story. I know it may be suspicious, but it really isn’t. Honest.

Is there any way for me to recover my password or break the lock somehow?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

Hey Alex,

Someone asked a similar question couple of weeks ago, check it out there were some answers there that may help you.

How can I open password protected Microsoft Office 2007 files?
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/open-password-protected-microsoft-office-2007-files/

There is really no easy way to do this, but here are few suggestions:

1. Try guessing. This is the first option to try out when attempting to recover any lost password. Think of passwords you commonly use such as a pet or loved one’s name, specific numbers or dates or family names. Try varying combinations of all the elements as well.

2. Purchase or download software to hack your document’s password. Aside from a guessing attempt, this is the most viable option for password recovery since the software is literally designed to “hack” your own passwords from the computer. A few of these software include Elcomsoft’s Advanced Office XP Password Recovery, AccentSoft Word Password Recovery and AccessData Password Recovery Toolkit.

3. Hack your Word/computer passwords using the cracking software. All software comes with complete instructions for installation and use.

• Alex Shen

Thanks for your help! Is any of the software compatible with Mac?

• fruitgeek

I doubt Word actually encrypts the document. I have never done this hack before, but it might be worth a try to open the document with Google Docs or OpenOffice, something like that.