How do I bypass my college firewall?

mohit kumar November 27, 2011

My college uses squid proxy server and we can’t access internet from 8AM to 6PM. We use 192 . 168 . 100 . 10 : 3128 to access internet normally. Can I bypass the TIMING restrictions.
Tor works only if I connect it before 8AM and if light/electricity goes off even for a second, then I can’t access internet after that.

If the gateway sets the online/offline hours, using neither a proxy nor a VPN will help, as they presume you will be connected and only shoot your data off to other networks to spoof the source address. 

Squid Proxy is not what isn't allowing you to access the internet after hours, it's a configuration in the gateway. You should contact the network administrator and ask him for permission to access the internet after normal hours. The only other way is to change it without permission, which we can't tell you how to do.

- Jeff

2. Johan Klos

What Mike said. You could get around site restrictions using a proxy, but that only works when you actually have access to internet. 
    In your case, it seems that new requests for internet access is disabled during a specific time so you're out of luck, it seems.You could try and set up a connection through VPN and see if that maybe stays on as well. See here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-completely-free-vpn-services-protect-privacy/

In general one has to say that by using your colleges network and internet you signed the usage agreement with all it's rules and restrictions.

Other then that if all internet traffic is routed through the squid proxy you probably can't bypass it because [depending on the implementation] it will simply deny all "open connection" requests.

As for the working Tor connection I would say that they setup squid to keep active connections alive (instead of terminating them) to prevent running updates or similar from being aborted.

For the last bit about electricity outage I would say that Squid is automatically bypassed (or fail-over) if the proxy is down and it simply takes a minute or two for the server to boot up again.