How can I bypass Apple’s iPod registration?

Uvas May 26, 2011

I own multiple iPods and just start wondering: why should I disclose my address, phone# and privacy to a gadget vendor? Have we come to an age when even my toilet paper preference can be looked up online?

1. Chezneepops

I got fed up putting in perso details... pressed back back back and it said well done you have registered !!

2. I hate greedy companies

Man you guys are suckered into the Into the Apple cult. Just dont buy the stuff. Dont give them all your money. Dont buy all your stuff though itunes and the apple ID. Just middle finger them and get somthing else.

3. dad

This product is used by my 15 year old daughter. you want me to give my credit card and payment information to a 15 year old girl to use at her discretion. Are you people out of your minds. This is Apples way?

• Ragoonian12

Yep

4. uvas

Thanks .. turns out that i simply clicked "go back" or something at the address page & .. i was done registering!

cmd + Q will actually quit iTunes... so much for that.

If you want to use iTunes for managing and or syncing your iPod the product registration is non-optional.I also don't see much problem there. For example registering your device with Apple will speed up and ease warranty cases because Apple already has all your data. I agree that it is fishy that you have to give a valid payment option but that is Apples way to lure you into using the iTunes Store and buy stuff.
    Apple will not charge your credit card (or other payment method) for no reason. You will always be prompted to verify your purchase with your iTunes Account password [even for free content]. So buying stuff and being charged by accident is sort of impossible.

Apple also offers instructions on creating an iTunes Account without any payment option! You can find it at the following link. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534
    In that case you will have to create the account first and then register the iPod using your previously created Apple ID

If you really don't want to register you should setup your iPod using the on-screen menu and use a third-party application like Songbird, WinAmp or whatever to manage it.

If you are running a Mac hit Command + Q, it skips it.

If your running Windows hit Alt + Q to skip it.