Can you help me with buying an Xbox 360 console?

Suhel October 13, 2011

I’m totally new in this console thing. I need to know few things:
1. The difference between Xbox Kinect, Slim and Kinect Sensor?
2. What would be an ideal choice?
3. Can Xbox Kinect Sensor work without Xbox Kinect?

1. Suhel

I appreciate your help dude. Thanks alot

2. Suhel

no need to apologize man, I loved your detailed explanations THANKS :D I'm not sure I want the 250 thingy I was planning to buy the bundle (4GB+KINECT) as its kinda more cheaper than buying those two separately.. why do you recommend the 250gb one? just for extra storage or does it have something to do with the games?

• John

Sorry for the delay, haven't had a chance to check that email the last couple of days.

The HDD is very important for games, mainly, not only does it keep your save games (and you will fill that 3gb quite easy), but it also keeps your downloaded demos, themes etc. Most importantly, however, there are some games which you will not be able to play in Multiplayer mode (Such as Battlefield 2) without having installed dunnowhat on the HDD. Also, a bigger HDD saves your discs, since the console will not need to continuously read them (they can be installed on the HDD - you'd still need the disc in the console, but it will be accessed much more seldom).

All in all, you can go for the 4gb and get a secondary 250gb later, as i previously stated. You can't really go wrong with any option, really, it's the games that will give you hours upon hours of fun! :)

So.. keep us posted as to what package you finally got, and enjoy your new Xbox!
      John

• Suhel

thanks I would keep you updated :)

@Tina thanks, this answer can be easily be nominated as best answer :)

3. Suhel

Thanks James, I read somewhere Kinect doesnt support old Xbox games or something. is it true?

• John

Ok, here's the scoop: There are several bundles, but the games are irrelevant at this point. The main part is the console itself, which comes (newest models, the Slims) with 250GB or 4GB HDDs (the 4gb variant [which i own] has a slot for adding a Microsoft hard drive). If there are no 250gb variants available, you can buy a 4gb one, and add an HDD later (but it's a little more expensive).

The Kinect is a motion sensor (pretty fun, but very limited with regards to current games). You don't actually need it, since the games available for it at the moment do not exactly make you feel like you're in Minority report (decent movie, btw).

The older games (most games, actually) do not support Kinect, but that doesn't make them less fun. Also, newer consoles support Kinect, so you can buy it later, it should not be a problem.

All consoles have the exact same configuration (except for the hard drive), the difference being that some older consoles do not have wireless (for network access) or have less USB ports (at least three, if i remember correctly). The video output can also differ, all newer consoles support HDMI (i think some older models came without this slot, when there was an "Elite" version, it was the only one boosting it). The lack of wireless is not exactly a problem, though, since a cable connection can be made (to a router, for example).

Attention! The lack of wireless network capabilities does not mean they do not support wireless controllers!

The main point, however, is that the newest line of Xbox 360s is that they have a slightly better (not in specs, but regarding power consumption and heating) CPU. You can easily recognize newer Xbox 360s by the look of the console: black, touch buttons (for eject and power button), and the vent holes that cover both top and bottom (the HDD slot is covered by a cap that looks just like the regular vents).

Hope this helped a bit!
      Cheers!

• Suhel

ok so cut to the chase. If I just buy a normal Slim model I can always get the Sensor separately! correct? But if I buy a bundle it would have both Slim and Sensor together? I'm understanding it..  :D

edit : I've attached a screenshot and would like to describe your comment according to it, make me correct if am wrong

- The main part is the console itself, which comes (newest models, the Slims) with 250GB or 4GB (the 3rd and 1st image)

-The Kinect is a motion sensor (pretty fun, but very limited with regards to current games) (the 4th image)

-newer consoles support Kinect, so you can buy it later, it should not be a problem. (1st & 3rd, can support 4th)

am I correct?