What are things to look for before buying speakers?

Sahil Dave December 11, 2011

I want to buy Speakers in January. I haven’t yet decided on 2.1 or 4.1 or 5.1 because that’s not my main concern, I just want to play music at high volume in my room. I am not after a specific feature or anything, I just want a simple set of speakers.

My budget: 1500-2000 Rs.

1. Sahil Dave

Thanks a lot everyone for replying !

I think i am gonna buy 2.1 system may be Creative SBS...Thanks !

2. Birr_haha

Just want music at hi volume!!!!  Easy buy 2 old ahuja Horn speaker n & connet it to 100watts amplifier & put in your room, second hand can get even at 500 rupees

3. Henry

The only thing that really matters is your satisfaction with the sound they produce & how much you can spend without a heartache. Listen, listen & listen; be satisfied; then buy.

Hi,
    after messing around with logitech z5500 cables (great system, especially if you watch a lot of dvds and/or need outstanding basses) I decided to downgrade to stereo to save space in my room (and because I don't watch many movies with surround effects...). I choose Empire PS-2050 because they were a good compromise between quality, space saving and price.
    They have 2 inputs, so you can connect your laptop and ipod at the same time if you wish. The only uncomfortable thing is the control panel (power, volume and bass) located on the rear of the left speaker.
    Now PS-2050 are out of market, I think s-500 is the way to go. And they also moved the control panel on the side of the speaker!

Know I understand my suggestions are out of budget, sorry!

5. Alexander Kenter

Instead of looking, try listening, instead.

6. Rick_S1

If you are primarily listening to music, then a two channel system, or two chanel and sub woofer should work well. Multi speakers systems, IMHO, are made for sound effects in movies. Since you will be listening at higher volumes, you want to make sure that the sprakers don't blow out. It may be counter intuitive, but the main reason that speakers blow is that the amplifiers powering them are not powerful enough! Many amps, when they are over driven, go into hard clipping. Hard clipping will fry the speaker's coils!

Unfortunately, wattage gives only part of the necessary picture, and a high watts level may not indicate anything about the clipping behavior. Soft clipping will not destroy speakers. So, read reviews to get an understanding of an amp's behavior. Even a lower wattage good quality amp will sound better and louder than a cheap high powered amp!

I think it is a good deal - below 2000 Rs.

http://www.flipkart.com/computers/speakers/itmczzcahzh9zekg#read-reviews

I could find only one site with user reviews.

Sirf ek room me sunana hai to chalega ye.

8. Sahil Dave

Creative SBS A335 Speaker

Speaker Power:
    5 Watts RMS per channel (2 channels)
    11 Watts RMS subwoofer

Frequency Response:40Hz ~ 20kHz

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR):75dB

9. Sahil Dave

Thanks all for replying...i mainly need speakers for my laptop, as in to play music through laptop..

so,
    wired ?
    aux jack ?
    subwoofer - depends
    how many speakers - as i wrote above, thats not my main concern
    headphone jack - not sure
    remote - no

In all, i want a normal speaker to play music on high volume (not as high as a big party)...I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND

Hello, most times you have to consider that there might be different brands in your part of the world.  You could consider trying brands like altec lansing, creative and logitech.  There are several configurations for these brands and so are the prices.  If you like listening to music, I would say that a subwoofer good be a good choice.

You will get a sub woofer with Creative 2.1 in your budget, I will add iball to the list on my previous comment.
      check speakers from these brands, you will get what you are looking for.

• Dave Parrack

In light of your preferences I would suggest a 2.0 or 2.1 system, either of which will do just fine for a laptop. You can then choose the brand dependent on price and personal taste. Narrow it down to a few you like the look of and then read reviews of each in order to help make your mind up.

10. Dave Parrack

You may not even need a subwoofer thanks to the capsule speakers now available. These are ultra-portable, mini speakers designed for use with laptops, tablets, smartphones, and mp3 players. And they're highly affordable. There are a number of manufacturers offering capsule (or pod) speakers, but the X-Mini is currently the pick of the bunch.

typhoon
    intex
    Creative

Offers you 2.1 and 4.1 speakers, the last price range I know is 1800-2200 Rs.
    playback quality is not bad for this price.

Some things to look for are:

• Wireless or wired?
    • What interface do you want (usb, aux, etc.)
    • Subwoofer or no?
    • How many speakers?
    • Does it have a headphone jack?
    • Does it come with a remote?

You can shop for speakers at NewEgg or Tiger Direct.

In addition to what Jeff said what you should look at are the RMS (average power output) and the frequency range.
      If you are a music enthusiast you want to look for speaker that go from ~30Hz (or lower) all the way to 30kHz (or higher).