Is buying an expensive gaming mouse worth it?

Juan Carlos Espinosa Agudelo October 18, 2012

Hey MUO, I’m considering what sort of computer mouse to buy for my laptop.

I’ve been looking at some mouses(or is it mice?) and saw:
There’s the cheap smaller ones, which cost around 15 or less euros(I’ve been looking on Amazon and saw the prices aren’t that different from dollars)
There’s, what I call, the regular(middle choice) mice, which cost 20 to 40 euros.
And then there’s the expensive mice, which often are gaming mice(like Razer’s mice) which cost 50 or higher.

I’m thinking I’m going to go for the middle choice, but before doing that, I’d like to know, what’s the key difference between that range and an €60+ mouse?

PS
Even though I’m probably going to play some games, gaming won’t be my focus(I don’t like shooters that much). Also about portability: Even though I’ll get myself a wireless one for my laptop, I’m also searching for one to use for some hours(considering I’m mostly using it at my internship, at home I use PC).

1. Eserpess Eserpess

If you like playing casually then no i realy wouldnt look into it. they are expensive and they are desighned to do especially well with gaming...I have professional gaming mouse and keyboard and because i game ALOT i love them but for what your using them for id just reccomend a logitech mouse their good but not expensive.

2. Harish Jonnalagadda

Yes. Even if you do not intend to game all day, I found that using a gaming mouse was much better as it feels better, owing to the fact that these mice are designed very well. I have been using various mice over the years, and the difference is immense, in terms of gaming as well as general usage. If you wanna start out, I suggest SteelSeries Kinzu v2.

3. Alex Perkins

I use a MX Performance from Logitech, I seen some bad reviews but I think It's great so far.

4. Vipul Jain

I personally am a gamer but still i got a mouse costing $3 only! It's a DELL (dont remember the model).
    I have played way too many games with it and till date haven't faced a problem.
    IMO expensive mice like Razer are a waste of money unless gaming is someone's profession!

5. Nicholas Vine-Morris

Depends on what ur using it for

All you need to know about gaming mice -

http://tech2.in.com/features/gaming/all-you-need-to-know-about-gaming-mice/418152

It concludes that infrared mouse with wired ones are the best.

It depends on what games you play. If you play MMORPGs, you don't really need such a powerful mouse, a factory mouse will just do.
    But if you prefer games that are so intense that every second counts e.g. FPS, then a gaming mouse is recommended. I use a Sony VAIO factory mouse and have to move the mouse like 3 inches just to spin my character around once. If you are looking for a gaming mouse, look for one between 3k-4k dpi. Anything higher and you'll easily lose control. The 3500dpi(?) Razer DeathAdder is good enough.

8. Dimal Chandrasiri

if you don't spend much time gaming, there is no need of buying a high end, high precision gaming mouse. unless you are a rich person! :P but, if you prefer a smooth mouse with long lasting performance, go for a high end mouse. atleast you'll benefit the smooth performance.

9. Jan Fritsch

In most cases you pay for the name and features (you don't necessarily need).

Gaming mice are often advertised with very high DPI or CPI (whatever the manufacturer prefers) and features like changing this setting or individual programming etc.

The best suggestion I can give is to go into a shop and test out the mice. There are so much different shapes and sizes that there is no ideal suggestion.

I don't buy into any of the DPI/CPI or additional feature things. While the gaming mice I owned had up to 3200DPI/CPI I usually had them set to 1600max, mostly 800 or 1200. From all the mice I had so far my favorites were the Logitech MX510 ~60$, the Steelseries Kinzu ~35$ and the Microsoft Intelli Optical ~20$.

10. salim benhouhou

it depends on what you are going to use your mouse for

• epiquestions

It would have been nice if you actually answered the op's question instead of just answering 'it depends...' without elaborating or giving examples. I mean do you really think you helped with your answer?

As for the op's question...If you're not a serious gamer I wouldn't waste money on an expensive gaming mouse. If you want portability, then a normal wireless mouse would do.

Like ha14 said the main differences would be wired/wireless,dpi,extra buttons, and material used. Personally I don't think you would notice the difference between dpi's since you can always adjust the sensitivity in the game. As for the extra buttons I'm used to the 3button-mouse wheel and keyboard hotkeys so I don't think I need those. I have been using the same cheap mouse for more than 5 years and it hasn't died yet. To me some features of the gaming mouse are just gimmicks to make more money and to sell.

11. Boni Oloff

The biggest different of original mouse with gaming mouse is the DPI and precision.
    Also most of gaming mouse gives you the way to modify the keys fuctions via software.
    I use raxer orochi, it is small and portable, but not very recommended for true gamers, it is perfect on many things, precision, DPI and have many buttons you can modified, but it is too small..

there are wireless and non wireless mouse, some offers more buttons, others have better DPI. If you like to work with buttons assigning them programs to launch then choose one of them. The advantage of a wireless mouse is that it is not tethered so you have less interference with other notebook wires. Wireless mouse are the consume batteries which you do not worry about with a corded external mouse.

difference between that range and an €60+ mouse?
    extra button
    DPI
    corded or wireless
    material used

• Harshit Jain

Don't forget more money you pay for high quality brand reputation.

sure you are right brand reputation and money align together on the market. Expensive mouse will be needed for games or multitasking other then it is a hobby.

13. Dominic Chang

The price difference is in the sensitivity as well as programing keys onto your mouse for gaming. I like the cool factor thus I got myself a Logitech T600. It would cost you about 70 but has a nice swipe function being a touch mouse. Wireless for portability as well.

14. Dmitriy Haralson

the G300 is an excellent mouse, and cost only 50e(which seems to be in the higher tier of your analysis)... the problem with the lower tier mice, is the lack of buttons, and most likely, the ability to change your DPI(dots per inch) on the fly

It also depends on your budget and your fascination for something which also drives choices. Macro economics market paradigm I guess. :P

Main differences are sensitivity and many more individually programmable buttons

• Harish Jonnalagadda

Yeah I know. I used to have a Logitech which had adjustable weights..

18. Ashwin Ramesh

Well it's all up to you. If you think you are gonna game a lot, then I would suggest buying a Logitech G600 (it's about a 80$ I guess)... really worth it. But another choice for a gaming mouse would definitely be the Razer Naga 2012 (as Drew suggested above). That costs around 75-80$ I guess. Cyborg M.M.O. 7 is another option, and costs around 125$. But for me, personally, I feel the Logitech G600 is good just because of its comfort and ease of use.

• Harshit Jain

I am going to buy Logitech G600. Thanks for the recommendation. It is great.

• Harish Jonnalagadda

I recommend the SteelSeries Kinzu as a good starting mouse. Doesnt cost a whole lot and is incredibly comfortable.

• Ashwin Ramesh

Well, the Kinzu doesn't have programmable buttons (has only 3 I guess!), which becomes more like a regular mouse :P Also has limited functionality. But yes, as you said, can be a good mouse to start gaming with - its cheap (around 30-35$) and comfortable/easy to use with.

19. Drew Butler

I think its all about what fits you.. If you don't spend a lot of time gaming or have a specific genre in mind then you may benefit from saving your cash and going with a less expensive mouse. Personally I'm getting the Razer Naga mouse :)