Where can I buy a TV antenna that does not need a digital converter box?

Ray March 30, 2012

As I said, I am looking for a TV antenna that does not need separate digital converter box. I can not find good information on this. Since most people tend to purchase cable or satellite if they can afford it, there seems to be little need to provide details in this area. Can you help?

1. RayInLV

When you need a 6 outlet switch to plug in all the stuff to use your TV it gets old.   I don't know how much electricity each item uses when off, and this is not my #1 point, but I can "Walk around the house at night by the glow of Led lights".   Wow, may be someone could do a nostalgic song.   And before you get excited about how little led's use, I know....

2. Indronil Mondal

in our country In village remote areas and even in cities we can watch channels broadcasted by  doordarshan simpley by connecting a cable from the rf chord to a metal material outside the house or a antennae like this(i have attached the pic )

3. RayInLV

Actually, we are in the USA and converted back in 2009.   We just got tired of 100/month for Cable TV when you can get so many over the air channels and the rest on the internet.   My problem is all the Wires, so tired of wires and so tired of more and more things plugged in that do not turn off totally, constantly using electricity.

Your answer (there's no such thing) does make sense.

Funny, I remember when Cable TV came out and was advertised as the way to go to stop getting Commercials all for 19.95us / month.   Now we get Lots of Commercials and they play 10dcb higher in volume than the shows, waking a person up if you fell asleep from boredom.

I find the whole "zombie power" thing to be a sham, actually. People spend all this effort getting auto-swtich off things and special plugs, when in reality the amount of electricity saved is about the same as boiling a kettle once a month or even less. It's so insignifcant really, but people choose to champion it as doing their bit for the environment - while at the same time using plastic carriers, wasting huge amounts of food, and using their car uneccessarily. I'm not referring to you, of course, I dont know you, but I certainly agree that wires in general are annoying… 

I'm afraid there's no such thing Ray, which is why you cant find anything about it.

Although some very old aerials need replacing, most aerials can receive both digital and analog signal. Your aerial is more than likely already getting the digital signal - it's just a case of your tv not knowing what to do with it. Changing your aerial wont change anything. The change from signal -> video occurs at your tuner ; this is either inside your tv, or in an external tuner box which then gives your tv a signal it can understand. 

An external box can be had for as little as £20 ~ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Labgear-LABFV300-Freeview-Set-Top-Box/dp/B003FZF4UI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333096172&sr=1-1

The alternative is buying a new TV. Analog signals will begin to be shutdown from 4th April in the UK, which is I assume why you're asking. 

Please ask if you have any more questions or didn't understand something, I'd be happy to help.