Should I buy a Sony Xperia tablet or wait?

madmadi September 16, 2012

I am going to UK for 2 weeks at oct and I want to buy a tablet; since they are available there. I made my research and I have narrowed it down to sony tablet, Ausus or samsung note (later 2 being expensive expensive). I am not into apple because it is weird not having a desktop.

Budget: 400£ (650 usd)
Must: wifi + 3g, Multitasking (books, web, videos) and up-datable

But then I discovered windows 8 tablets are coming to market on 28.oct at lower prices and better features probably.
Should I wait for windows 8 and see what happens with my other options (Samsung note or Asus) or it is just a rumor that other tablets will drop?

1. shaurya gupta

windows 8 tablets...i would recommend that, coz there will be apps + a windows-7-like desktop. they are the next cool thing.

3. sabaris krishna

i recommend to wait.. u can watch out for nexus and microsoft surface!!

I think, given your needs, you have two primary choices: (1) you can run out right now and buy a Nexus 7 for $199 and it comes with a $25 gift card in the Play Store, or (2) you can wait until Surface tablet comes out.

I think the second option contains more risk, though, as we have no idea how Windows 8 is going to perform on an ARM-based tablet. And we know even less about the app environment. But if it's as good as the commercial look, then we have a winner on our hands!

However, that's a big "if": If the Windows 8 Tablet (surface) was a success, it would be the second time in Microsoft's history that they had a successful hardware launch (the Xbox 360 being the only other success). Although, arguably, the Windows 7 phone was a success (but not really).

Of course, on paper the MS Surface looks like it's going to be AMAZING.

It comes with Windows 8, Tegra 3, 32-64GB of solid state memory and a great number of wireless connection standards. Currently, it easily beats all hardware on the market in terms of value and only the Google-branded Asus Nexus 7 comes close (it offers $25 free in Play Store credit). Check out this link for more details on how most tablets stack up against each other.

You might find this article useful, where it breaks down the differences between devices.

At $200 the Nexus 7 has a smaller screen, tiny internal memory (at 4GB) but otherwise very similar specs to the Surface. It's worth considering..

5. Dalsan

Depending on your uses and needs would depend on what device you should go for. Issues, compatibility, and low application base are to be expected with new devices that don't have much real usage abilities and what it lacks as of yet to truly be known, it is difficult for me to just jump on getting a Win 8 device when it first hits. But, being that it is geared more towards enterprise compatibility and trying to have a similar ecosystem as Apple products have, it may be worth it as it should make it easier to bring things from the computer to the tablet and vice versa. I can't really say for sure that with the Surface tablet coming out that other devices will drop in price as much as the winter holidays would have on influencing price points since it is nearing the season. Look at what you need to be able to do with the tablet along with what you want to be able to do, then decide which tablet(s) meet those criteria, which for the most part you already did, research the good and bad of each device, I'm sure you have, and narrow down your choice by the price point as it being worth it or not. Supposedly the Nexus 10 is coming out soon, also, at around $300. One thing to keep in mind is if the tablet is expected to get continuous updates and support or not. If the tablet is aging (has been out for over 6 months), the less likely it is to get updates much past Jelly Bean 4.1. That being said, if you are coming from a region where it is difficult to get these types of devices, and you are not going to be back to the UK for a while and would like a tablet you listed sooner than later, I would go ahead and get one as the ones you listed are quite capable devices of good quality.

6. Harish Jonnalagadda

I would suggest waiting for another month till Surface comes out. Windows 8 is going to be wonderful on a tablet, and in the meantime, you can download Windows 8 now and check out the new features. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download

I would certainly recommend you to wait as Microsoft surface is expected to be a game changer in the tablet market, with more compatibility across devices and is expected to drive price down for tablets. I have put my decision on hold to purchase a tablet as I am certainly going to see how things unfold by the end of this year or probably early next year.