Should I buy a Samsung Galaxy S Duos 2 S7582 or a Sony Xperia M?

Kyem G December 31, 2013

I need to buy a budget phone at ~Rs 10000-12000 (~$200) and as per availability in India, I’ve got two phones in my list: Samsung S Duos 2 (s7582), and Sony XPeria M.

Now, about my requirements. I don’t intend to use apps or games heavily as I’m an iPad (WiFi only) user. The things which I need in the mobile are excessive usage of Whatsapp and BBM and also FaceBook, Twitter and Blogger. I want to download loads of torrents using my phone and so this is one of my priorities… And the last but not the least, I need a strong navigation system as I travel a lot to unknown places and obviously I want it with Google maps. I’ve checked the specs and the Xperia M has a better Krait processor, better battery but as per my requirements, the S Duos 2 has GPS as well as GLONASS for more accuracy where the Xperia M has got only GPS.

I would have chosen Lumia 620 and I loved that phone and it has got GPS as well as GLONASS but Windows Phone still doesn’t support Google Maps and has no good torrent apps.

What’s your take on my choice?? Should I go for S Duos 2 leaving behind the better performance of Xperia M for my requirements? Would love to here it from some one who is using S Duos 2 (s7582).

1. Gustavo

I have a Xperia M and it has a really poor GPS accuracy!
    I use it to track my outdoor activity and it is useless, plan to change it.

2. Subodh Patnaik

I bought it from MNV Collections for my brother as I wanted a budget phone. This is a great value-for-money. And this phone has everything. And my brother especially likes the big TFT screen because he plays lots of games.
    Even the processor speed is good and there is no lag. I strongly recommend this phone to everyone.

• Kyem G

Oh thanks... After leaving off all thoughts, I have spent the money to buy this phone from Flipkart. I would reach me tomorrow as it is showing that it has already reached the nearest Hub to my house in Kolkata... Thank you...

3. Rj

I think the significant difference in RAM; 768MB for S Duos 2 and 1 GB for Xperia M will make a big difference in performance if all the mentioned apps are running. My wife's S Duos has the same amount of RAM and task manager needs to be deployed regularly to get optimum performance.

4. kihara

You have also mentioned that you travel a lot to unknown places. Do these include International destinations? If that's the case, then a dual SIM phone may be advantageous because you have the added flexibility of using a local network (cheaper local calls) on one SIM.

• Kyem G

I need to travel some times to some other south asian countries and obviously I travel a lot within India itself (I'm an Indian) and so a strong navigation is needed.. Dual sim phone is an advantage but not much as I always carry my small n sturdy nokia dual sim phone with me for basic calls and sms and if I go for roaming, I would always look for a cheaper 3G internet plan for my requirements and also I forgot to mention that I use a lot of skype voice call to contact my parents and buddies too... Dual sim is a factor but still not much important!!! Thanks a lot... :) lets watch out for more comments!!!

Interesting question. I'm can't comment on the phone, as as regards GPS vs GLONAST, the only advantage of a dual satnav system is that coverage may be a little better (and it can be quicker to get a "fix"). The accuracy as such won't be affected at all, since the systems are separate, and in any event GPS is slightly more accurate than GLONAST (not that it really makes a difference, the main difference will be in the calibration of the phone itself).

• Kyem G

If I'm not wrong, its called GLONASS... You are right that GPS is much more accurate than GLONASS cz it uses 31 satellites around the world to give the location accuracy, developed by USA but as far as I've come to know from the Qualcomm's website, GLONASS is same as GPS and is developed in Russia so the name is different and it uses 24 sats and so as per as I have gone through, a device having both will give more accuracy and precision using 31+24 sats...
      Well I don't personally know how it works, but I'll personally keep in mind ur comment... :) thank you...

• Oron J

Of course it's GLONASS, that was a freudian slip (Glasnost got into the mix...). Sorry about that. The difference in accuracy, according to Wikipedia, is minor, and as I understand it, the improvement in accuracy is also minimal (Qualcomm claim accuracy of 2m, but there are very few phones that will actually be that accurate, regardless of the type of technology they use).

• Kyem G

Yeah you r correct.. Glonass might be there just in sake of name I guess, that too for a budget phone...