Where can I buy a locked iPhone 4S off contract?

bharat guram September 14, 2012

I’m from India, but I have friends in the United States, and I want to know if any of them could buy me an iPhone 4S locked on contract and then sent it to me in India, where I will unlock it, what happens to the contract? Is there any way to buy a locked iPhone 4S without a contract?

1. parth

hello guyzz i wanted too knw which 1 is better iphone 4 or iphone 4s and what will be the price of both phones in usa (contract free)
    plz help me in finding out

2. swetha

hi all, i am going for a new unlocked iphone in india. i am confused between iphone 4 and 4s. the actual price difference is 8k between both phones. are there any major differences between both the phones? is the camera in 4s worth extra 8k? is the camera is 4 is good?or shud i go for 4s? plz help! thanks.

• Hariharan

Hi Swetha, Difference is not only the camera, some changes were made in the proessor and there is some major increse in call back up , 4s is worth buying it comparing to 4..

3. Rajesh Raju

bey the 4s in us .locked phone and with contract .how much price in us .

4. MerVzter Balacuit

try telstra in australia... if you can

5. bonioloff

I have no experience in locked one, but if you can buy one that unlocked i will recommend it.. I HAVE ONE and IT IS GREAT,
    I ever see unlock software for IOS, but i think it is not recommended, because every IOS update will need a new system to unlock it, not like jailbreaking, unlocking is not so fast in update, so you may get stuck until someone make a working software to unlock it..

6. Tina Stark

i'd say ebay was your best bet :o)

That's a really good question.

I can think of two options in the US: AT&T and Virgin Mobile (maybe Verizon).

The method revolves around corporate policy toward foreign travel. Since many US carriers have no presence overseas, they permit unlocking (which is not what you wanted). With regard to a contract, last I checked, even though AT&T and Verizon requires a contract, you can always just pay the early termination fee (typically the same price as the cost of the phone) and keep the phone. Then request that they unlock the phone for overseas travel. It's free, if they permit it.

With regard to Virgin Mobile, they sell locked handsets, off contract, for the actual value of the phone ($650 or less). The 4S is an expensive beast, unfortunately. But you can use the phone in India for a prepaid rate, which they offer on a monthly or per-use basis.

There are a few carriers in the US who carry locked CDMA iPhone 4S handsets. I know that CDMA is a common cellular technology in India (but not really outside of India).

• Mayank

so can any one tell me exactly that if my friend purchased a contracted phone from uk in cheap cost and after coming in india he gives me this phone so how can i use dis phone in india and what sought of problems i could face and how could i tackel these problem...just in case of I5

• Harsh

Mayank i'll help u out with unlocking but once u can tell me how to bring iphone locked without contract

• mrudula

hey, this is my first time opting an apple phone. i wanted to get a locked iphone 5(price issue). so can i know what type or kind(like att, sprint etc) should i go for which can be easily unlocked in india? and how can i get a locked one without contract? so if i can get the info regarding this, i will exactly buy the same one suggested from US.
          thanks.

• Tim Brookes

Locked phones are generally bought on a contract. For a contract you will need a US billing address (a real one, not a PO Box) and to upkeep payments. You will also be paying for a plan you can't really use half-way across the world.

You would be much better off swallowing the initial cost of an unlocked phone which you can use in your home country (or indeed anywhere in the world). Consider refurbished models and even second-hand models, though iPhones tend to hold their value you should still get a pretty good deal.

I'm from the UK, living in Australia and I would never consider a contract in either country ever again. The pre-paid options are so good these days that I'd rather swallow one big initial cost than pay a whole lot more in the long-run and be locked-in to a contract.

Also be aware if you do get your hands on a locked iPhone (depending on carrier) you might have to wait a while to unlock it. In the UK, Orange wanted me to wait 2 months as the registered owner (despite owning the phone for over a year) before they'd even consider unlocking my old iPhone 4. Be prepared to fight terrible customer service as the carrier resists your wishes to unlock. I personally had nothing but trouble, so I pass on words of warning!

Oh and my last bit of advice would be buy the biggest model you can (storage). 32GB should be the minimum you want, then you won't have to worry too much about janitoring apps and media all the time. Good luck.

• sai

i ve ma relativs in usa..an asked dem if dey cud get me an iphone5 frm att an giv it to me wen dey com...d tin is..i can get phone unlocked easily here in india(chennai)..but it seems dey hav to provid social security lik d pan card for india and a mailing address to get d phone in contract. even if they bring it an giv it to me..they must pay d monthly charges it seems.....so now, is der a way to bring an locked iphone to india at low cost??? pl tel me!!!!!!!!

Even if you get it unlocked in India,you wont get any warranty as there's no international warranty on Apple products.

9. Ahmed Khalil

i think you will not find any body buy an Iphine 4S locked for and carrier in USA to give it to you out sid USA and pay for the Carrier monthly inultments of the contract instead of you

• Harish Jonnalagadda

That is true! However, most users just buy devices off-contract and get them to India as it costs a whole lot more to buy the same mobiles in India.

• Bikram

What if someone sends the locked ATT phone to India and ask ATT that its lost and requests ATT for the new one ! I have no idea just asking !

• adarsh

i would like to ask u a question that if i buy a iphone 4s or iphone 5 locked from the apple store in us can i get it without contract so i can get the phone through my cousin and use the phone in india by using airtel micro sim by unlocking it india. pls reply fast…………

10. HLJonnalagadda

Without contract, the device in the U.S. would cost about $150 less than what it currently costs in India.
    With contract, it is obviously much less but it would be a hassle to get it unlocked in India.

11. Angel Ferrer

Locked Iphones are stuck to the Carrier as in for example if i buy an Iphone for AT&T only they can give me the unlock code to take it to another carrier. You an buy the phone unlocked for about 600$ but if you want an Iphone 4S that is on a carrier for cheap tell them to look on craigslist in there local area buy the phone and send it to you its your most economic way to do it... And to buy it without a contract you can get it from apple directly and take it to any carrier you want. and if you buy it from AT&T or sprint there wont be a contact anymore if you take it out of the country just buy it from craigslist and have them send it to you and connect it to an international carrier in India

• adarsh

i would like to ask u a question that if i buy a iphone 4s or iphone 5 locked from the apple store in us can i get it without contract so i can get the phone through my cousin and use the phone in india by using airtel micro sim by unlocking it india. pls reply fast............